Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was sitting at the dealer today getting my oil changed when the guy comes around to tell me what I'm hoping is my car is done but instead e tells me that the valve stem to where you add oil is cracked and has been slowing leaking oil and allowing air into the cover. Now he quoted me $285 to order a replacement part and then whatever labor would be.... I told him I wanted to look at it and when I did I told him I'm not going to deal with it today. They file her back up with oil and I borrowed some duct tape to "patch" the crack for the time being... Luckily I only lived down the road from the shop. Now I have 1 been planning on super charging my 2010 4.0L and 2 figuring out a way to dress up the engine bay a bit. Valve covers ect. But the problem is I can't find valve covers for the 4.0L anywhere other than the ones from Ford which look the exact same... Does anyone know where to get other, better looking valve covers or am I stuck with getting another one from Ford and just painting it.... To me though $285 seemed a bit pricey for just a replacement to the stock covers. Any input would be nice thanks!

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Not sure but 285 don't seem bad for valve covers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$285 for plastic ones? I mean I know the chrome and aluminum ones for the 5.0s for for around 300-325 on different sites but the one the tech showed me was just plastic... If its a good price by all mean ima take it but I'd like to since I'm replacing them anyway get ones to dress up the engine bay a bit.

·
Registered
607 Posts
$285 for plastic ones? I mean I know the chrome and aluminum ones for the 5.0s for for around 300-325 on different sites but the one the tech showed me was just plastic... If its a good price by all mean ima take it but I'd like to since I'm replacing them anyway get ones to dress up the engine bay a bit.
Sounds like a decent price. There are no aftermarket valve covers for the 4.0 that I've found because I want some too. However you could powdercoat the valve covers

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I was sitting at the dealer today getting my oil changed when the guy comes around to tell me what I'm hoping is my car is done but instead e tells me that the valve stem to where you add oil is cracked and has been slowing leaking oil and allowing air into the cover. Now he quoted me $285 to order a replacement part and then whatever labor would be.... I told him I wanted to look at it and when I did I told him I'm not going to deal with it today. They file her back up with oil and I borrowed some duct tape to "patch" the crack for the time being... Luckily I only lived down the road from the shop. Now I have 1 been planning on super charging my 2010 4.0L and 2 figuring out a way to dress up the engine bay a bit. Valve covers ect. But the problem is I can't find valve covers for the 4.0L anywhere other than the ones from Ford which look the exact same... Does anyone know where to get other, better looking valve covers or am I stuck with getting another one from Ford and just painting it.... To me though $285 seemed a bit pricey for just a replacement to the stock covers. Any input would be nice thanks!
Did they tell you why it might have cracked? you better look at the deep problem first

1 - 7 of 7 Posts