Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Our V6 3.7 has a PCV valve

It is on the passenger side and if you do anything at all your first mod will be to get a Oil Catch can (Oil Separator) to replace it.

I got mine from American Muscle. I got the JLT and used the forum discount. Very easy install because the JLT comes with the genuine Ford hoses already connected to it. I put mine on in about 30 seconds.

This will stop your engine from sludging up in time. It does have to be emptyed about every 3 to 5 thousand miles or so. A good first investment if you plan on keeping your car for a long time.

Ronnie

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have the same one you have. I was not aware that was the crankcase ventilation system. All the ones I've seen are little plugs with a little hole in it to stop the engine from over the limit compression.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Thats what it is:

These new engines have a more closed system then the old days. They really think all of the blow by oil will be burned in the engine. It would be great if that was true but the problem is that the unburned oil just turns to sludge and will cause problems well after the warranty is over. This is something that should be on all cars right from the factory. Our 3.7 engines have not been out long enough to really see if they will ever have the sludge problem or not. I know the Mini Coopers have a very bad sludge problem because of the oil not completely being burned off in the combustion chamber. I just know that for a tad over $100.00 from American Muscle and the ease of installation I'm not going to wait and see if the sludge problem exists in our engines. I do know that when I did remove my stock hose it did have dripping oil in it.

I like the JLT because it does have a filter in it and is very high quality and well designed. Some people actually make their own but I like to have things that have been tested to function without problems on my car so I just bought one.

Ronnie

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. Thanks for the info. I was the same. I'll spend the hundred bucks for piece of mind.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

It was my first mod at about a thousand miles on the engine. Every time I drain the can, I know I made a good buy. However, the research I did, a lot of new engines still have a little vent plug to relieve pressure.

·
Registered
730 Posts
It is on the passenger side and if you do anything at all your first mod will be to get a Oil Catch can (Oil Separator) to replace it.

I got mine from American Muscle. I got the JLT and used the forum discount. Very easy install because the JLT comes with the genuine Ford hoses already connected to it. I put mine on in about 30 seconds.

http://s410.photobucket.com/user/ronnie948/media/Mustang Modifications/P1060933_zpsbd4f8ce4.jpg.html

This will stop your engine from sludging up in time. It does have to be emptyed about every 3 to 5 thousand miles or so. A good first investment if you plan on keeping your car for a long time.

Ronnie
+1 Ronnie, I think its next on my long list. It's a Great investment!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay. We all agree its a good buy. But my question is if a crank case ventilation system exists for the mustang newer models. I found a bunch of 2012+ cars that still have them, as there is still a need for them in modern cars. Anyone have any idea what type of CCVS we have and where it is?

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Even with a catch can, the PCV valve may still require replacement periodically... Here's a pic of the pcv valve (passenger side):

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the engine side?

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

So it's the part the catch can connects to on the side closest to the engine?

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Yes, by the engine side (valve cams cover). The passenger side is the "push" side, pulling into the intake; the drivers side is the "return" side if the engine vetilation system. Only needed on the passenger side.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe I'm just not making the connection here, but that tube hooks up to the top of the engine on my driver side and then to my CAI... Wouldn't I want to catch that oil there too? What's the difference between that and the GT?

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
The PCV system forcibly withdraws and disposes of (by re-burning) gaseous combustion by-products, including acidic, alkaline, and water vapors, which would otherwise only be ejected by the pressure of the piston ring blow-by, and whatever was ejected when the piston's motion created pressure in the crankcase.

However the more cylinders you have the more the up and down motion of the pistons cancel out any net crankcase pressurization caused solely by the engine's mechanical activity within the crankcase.

This, makes it more critical on an engine that is never run long enough to boil off these nasties--what they then do is condense in the crankcase, and cam/valve covers, each according to its own saturation limit (I.e. "dew point"). If the oil never gets hot enough to boil them off they stay there and form sludge.

However an active PCV system sucks these gasses out using manifold vacuum (passenger side) (this typically happens when the engine is idling or running under moderate and constant load), drawing in clean air at the same time (drivers side)--it works best in combination with proper engine operation; but it's better than just breathers even if the engine is never run hot enough to boil off the oil fumes.

You only need the catch can on the vacumn side, as this is where the engine draws the oil vapor into the intake for re-burning. The drivers side flows air from the intake to the engine (no crankcase pressure here).

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for the twenty questions, but the male end on both sides looks the same. Do you know why it isn't needed. I'll read the link you posted right now. I appreciate the help, Bucko. I see you on here a lot and are always a huge help in every forum you post in. Thanks man.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Sorry for the twenty questions, but the male end on both sides looks the same. Do you know why it isn't needed. I'll read the link you posted right now. I appreciate the help, Bucko. I see you on here a lot and are always a huge help in every forum you post in. Thanks man.
I edited my response, as I searched and found a better explaination as to the divers side (drawing air into the crankcase) and passenger side (expelling the nasties from the crankase into the intake for re-burning). It's really the passenger side that will capture the crankcase oil crap.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
So that article I read kind of makes me think having one on both sides is a good idea...
Some folks do this, but the side of our crankcase ventilation system that allows for the oil and fumes to be re-burned is on the passenger side: valve cover to engine intake; this is where you want to capture the oil mist that's being sucked into the engine. The drivers side vacumn is from the air cleaner to the intake: no oil or nasty vapor here.....just fresh outside being vacumned in to the engine valve cover on the drivers side as I see it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts