Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i drive a 5 spd and when coming to a stop i put the car in nuetral and use just the brakes (no down shitfting). i know that down shifting will help me brake quicker and keep my brakes from wasting as quickly but will downshifting cause my clutch to go out quicker? i guess i just figure that it is easier to replace pads and rotors than to replace clutches. what do you guys think? any suggestions or comments on how you guys slow down.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Right,Down shifting won't exactly make the clutch go out quicker, its how often the clutch is engaged and how. My last car was a 5 speed and i down shifted all the time, I loved hearing the exhaust. :)

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Every time you engage and disengage the clutch you cause wears it is just like brakes everytime you use them they wear but saying that as long as you dont power shift and treat your cluth or brakes bad you will get good life out of both. Dont worry about down shifting it is safe.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I always down shift when I am driving a straight drive, never hurt a thing that I know of, been doing it for about 35 years or so since I started driving, lol. Well a little longer, maybe 37 now. Lost count.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts