Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Medwards thank you again!! I will definitely do as you say on my next run and as stated about practice practice practice. I need the honesty I won't take offense!

And the go pro was borrowed and he only had the head straps so I couldn't have it fixed.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Are you able to zoom in on the tach the same as you did for the speedo. The tach will tell you more.

You may want to try a launch from idle. The car won't stumble if you do that. Slip the clutch ever so slightly while "rolling" into the gas in first (just barely slip the clutch....doing so creates heat and heat is really bad for the clutch...if you smell clutch burning you slipped the clutch too much...you need to let it out faster). That alone will knock off a fair amount of time since the car won't be stumbling off the line. If that works for you, great. You have a nice way to come off the line. Then try another run by dumping the clutch with the RPM's around 3500 and then keep increasing 500 RPM until one launch you will spin....that's the limit for your car's current setup. However, be forewarned...High RPM launches put more strain on the drivetrain than idle starts so you may want to do idle starts until you get good at shifting in the higher gears and learn to pay attention to the tach while shifting to stay in the power band. That way you're putting less stress on the car overall while practicing the finer art of drag racing from the seat.

Then you can start doing high RPM launches....but remember you will find the weak parts of the car with higher and higher RPM launches (ie/ you may start breaking things).

Do all of this incrementally. Cars do strange things sometimes. I've seen well behaved cars launch great at one RPM and then go sideways 1000RPM higher. Your car's setup doesn't appear to be generating enough torque for this to be a concern, but it's better to be safe than sorry. It's at the start that most crazy things happen. This is complete conjecture because I haven't seen your car first hand, but for example if you were to go to something like 4.10 or 4.55 gears then things could get squirrelly with higher RPM launches even if everything else on the car is the same.

At the start it's all about torque and traction. After that it's about RPM and shifting. Then your final ET is a matter of time in the seat, natural ability....oh ya...and money ;-)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Medwards. First off thank you for your input. It's greatly appreciated! I went back today and it definitely was a different experience. Got a few more runs in. Stayed consistent around 13.000 best is attached. 60ft is still bad but I improved greatly on my reaction time. ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1462685181.845367.jpg

·
Registered
461 Posts
When I was younger I worked on a lot of early '70's and late '60's cars. I was the pit guy and the car set-up person. I never actually ran the car down the strip. However, I did plenty of runs on the street (kindof embarassed to admit that as I probably did a lot of stupid runs that were dangerous....but I was a kid).

With the super snake and now building the clone, I'm both the set-up guy and the driver so I'm learning personally how hard it is to work on that 60' and the 330' times. One of my buddies I used to pit for is giving me hints on his driving style and I'm still convinced it's about torque and traction. I think all the changes I helped make to his car was 90% of the improvements in his 60' and 330' times. However, he's claiming it was his driving skills. It's been too long for me to remember the details and I never kept records back then.

As I mess with the clone I'm going to be posting different slips to show the incremental improvements with a S550 GT. Being both the setup guy and the driver I will be impartial on what is more important. I figure after the first 10 or so runs I'll see the limit of the stock setup. Then I'll try different tires. Then I'll go back to stock tires with 3.73 gears. Then I'll put the bigger tires on with the 3.73's. Then change suspension components. Etc etc. I think new gears and tires will have more to do with improving your 60' time than driving skill. Suspension and HP will eventually be needed.

I don't yet know enough about tuning (that's my learning curve since I've been out of it so long), so maybe others can give you ideas about tunes that could improve your time before you get to turning bolts.

I'd love to hear the opinions of others on my opinion.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Oh, forget to say great job as well.

And look at the slip closely. Dude, you knocked 1/2 second off your 60' time! And almost 7/10 off your 330' time! That's awesome. That's also where you made virtually all the gains on the run. Although yuu did pick up another 1/10 along the rest of the run. Probably by having hight RPM's when you shifted.

Watching the video again from that bad run, you need to speed up the shifting between gears and get the RPM's higher when you shift.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Figured I would share this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IPo-spiMWA

Watch this video for a bunch of things (and then watch the other vids that cycle after it. You'll see some real fast shifting....and you'll see things break with high RPM launches (I'm pretty sure he blew up the driver's side half shaft...you will see a part fly out the back of the car during the 4th try). These guys do a great job. You will find the weak parts of your car with high RPM launches...and that can be a painful lesson. In my mind the trick is to get the fastest time possible WITHOUT breaking your car!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Work on getting your 60 foot times down to 1.8 ignore the fella on ur left or right, ignore the tree. Leave anytime after ur light turns green when ur ready focus on ur driving. Get comfortable and good then worry about racing

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Work on getting your 60 foot times down to 1.8 ignore the fella on ur left or right, ignore the tree. Leave anytime after ur light turns green when ur ready focus on ur driving. Get comfortable and good then worry about racing

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Ignore tree? Doesn't the 60ft time start when it turns green? I'll be going back tomorrow so I'll keep trying to bring it down to under 2 secs

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know, a little late to the party but I don't get on here too much.

Surprised no one responded to the last post. 60 ft time does not start until YOU move, just like the ET timer. You could sit there for 5 seconds after the light turns green and the only thing running will be the reaction time timer.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I know, a little late to the party but I don't get on here too much.

Surprised no one responded to the last post. 60 ft time does not start until YOU move, just like the ET timer. You could sit there for 5 seconds after the light turns green and the only thing running will be the reaction time timer.

Thanks! I'm not at the track anymore (lol) but thanks brother I appreciate it. I might head back when spring comes and I'll definitely work on that 60 ft

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

21 - 32 of 32 Posts