Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
custom fiberglass box almost complete(56kgrabasnickers)

well its almost done. from start to where i am now you can see it here
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/509528/6

tell me what you guys think. its not done to be rice or sound super loud, it was made so nobody asks "can you move up your seat, i cant fit" when they want a ride and i cant move up my seat cause then i cant drive the car right with my legs bent. plus i think its gonna be just one of those things that only i have and nobody else in the world has on their eclispe spyder that looks like that. truly one of a kind right there. and i think alot of people are really going to dig it at the local spot and right now the people who told me not to do it are asking if ive ever done it before. keep in mind this was my first try at anything fiberglassing, anything bondo, anything sanding, anything spreading.

i like how it came out. i prolly couldve done it better but i set a goal that it had to be done in 2 weeks and right now i have till tuesday so im about 3 days ahead and all i have to do is paint it and clearcoat it.

the speakers are Audiobahn AW1251T 12's, the amp is also audiobahn, their HC4075, its like 400x2 or something. the 2 small speakers are rockford fosgate 3.5" 2 ways that sound amazing for their size, just as good as 6x9's at the same sound level. i might add another 2 cause those i got for 30. why the hell not?

·
Banned
321 Posts
Looking good to me... Fiberglassing is a messy job and sanding seems to be the part I have the most... A D/A sander makes fast work of it though. I am sure it will look really nice when its all done! Hopefully you can get the cracked worked out, thats the biggest downfall of fiberglass is the cracking.:good::good:

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it didnt crack a whole lot, just one little spot where the top side meets the side edge where it gets about 1" thin by the seat belt holes. its not very thick there, i think theres more bondo then glass. ill prolly just add a nice piece of bent metal and hot glue it so it wont bend any more.

·
Banned
321 Posts
u can end up using a tub of bondo when making them. just to get them really smooth, with no waves, ripples, highs and low spots. and 90% of the bondo ends up as dust on the floor, but thats the look everyone is looking for. cant wait to see the finish product...

wow, i had to go back and edit that one... kids, dont type when u arent sober!!

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I agree, it looks damn nice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looks pretty good, this may sound stupid, but Im not big into this thing so I dont know much, but it seems like the fiberglass would crack and shiz when the subs were pumping. Or is it strong enough to hold it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oh yeah, and mucho respect for you on doing this. I would never attempt something like this, I would fux up everything.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Looks good man

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
nice and clean good ****. As someone said how thick is it? I hope you did make it thick enough for when it is hitting cause if theres no suppurt it will crack up on you very easily.(only reason why I ask is cause the box doesnt seem that thick...my boys boc that he had made is thick its holding two JL 13.5 W7s and Ive never seen a thicker box in my life before)
what color are you gonna color the box?

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
dont use more han 2 percent of hardener. did you make it out of wood first then coat it with fiberglass. 1 inch ply wood and half inch of fiberglass is what i would have used

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
looks very sweet, i wish i could do that...

·
Registered
106 Posts
looks real nice...I could never do that stuff

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah its actually 3 layers of glass on top, the first layer is the cloth that was resined and turned into a hard layer, plus another 2 of the thick matte on top of that. my dad works at l3 communications and used to supervise some of their stuff and he said that 3 layers is plenty seeing that he stood on top of it and it didnt move.

i tried painting it black earlier with my spray gun and it turned out like ****, the paint i used from my tbird had guped up, i add a little thinner to it and stirred it, but when i went to spray it it came out really thick. so i let that dry and with the gloss you could see all the little imperfections that even the primer couldnt see. it was a real let down.

so i took one of my stock inner panels down to pep boys and got some spraypaint that matched it. got about 3 cans of that and its going to match the interior now. itll still look really good at night but it wont be as obvious in the day. i jsut got done spraying a little on it and its going to match up perfectly to the interioir charcoal grey color.

it was realy cold here today too, it was like 75ish so the paint didnt want to dry like it usually does so i couldnt get alot accomplished but realize the black sucks and grey will look better.

and thanks for the compliments. i wouldve never thought i could do it either but its almost done and im floored on how many compliments i am getting from people who thought i was crazy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts