Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
This is the newest Roku 4K stick, the $69.99 unit. There are new Roku Express, 3800 Streaming stick and the Ultra. The new remotes are really great with power/volume buttons, you don't even have to program anything the Roku does it for you. Voice search now too.

https://www.roku.com/products

Over wifi has been fine with the+. It comes with an amplified wifi antenna which the other wireless Rokus do not which is one reason I got it over the $49.99 stick. Also I plan on getting a new 4K TV once I get to Spain.

Another thing I'm probably running into here in the townhouse is just a ****ton of wireless interference. Not sure what it'll be like in Spain but likely going to upgrade router too.

**Also this is a nitpick, but if you have Vue, the Streaming Stick+ has a Vue button right on the remote to launch straight into the app. My only real gripe since I have DTVN and the $49.99 stick has the DTVN button on its remote lol.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
As for wifi itself... you are going to probably **** your pants when you see the prices but I'm probably going to go with Flashrouters or a really good stock router and flash it myself for ExpressVPN or NordVPN.

https://www.flashrouters.com/

These guys take routers, load open source firmware to them (I like Tomato) and then will install your VPN too if you are comfortable giving them your login or you can DIY. Cost of he product is damn near double for this service but... its plug in and go when you get it.

I'm debating whether I just want to bite the bullet and get a top of the line omgwtfbbq router from them with Tomato or just get a really good Linksys for like $150-$200 from the ExpressVPN router list and flash it myself but it'll still be on the Linksys modified firmware.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I'm spinning my wheels on this subject too. I kinda want to go nuts, since it seems like when I go with a typical "good" one, it only seems to work about two years lol.

I've been hearing a lot of good about Eeros, but I don't know anyone personally that is running them. I was thinking of this setup to keep the signal strong in the rooms I watch TV in and in the garage,

https://www.amazon.com/eero-Home-WiFi-System-Beacons/dp/B0713ZCT4N/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510163333&sr=1-2&keywords=eero

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
I've used "range boosters" before. You are better off getting just one holy **** good powerful router vs those things all over the house.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Like... this guy.

https://www.amazon.com/RT-AC3200-Wireless-AC3200-Tri-Band-Wireless-AiProtection/dp/B00S9SGNNS

And then configure it with ExpressVPN if you want to not have to worry about any tracking or anything. Its $7/mo which is pricey for VPN but worth it for the speed and they get around the Hulu/Netflix proxy bans. Also you can set your streaming service local area to wherever. So if you want a sports game in NYC (example), select an Express VPN server in NYC and reboot and boom. Its like a "manual" Sunday Ticket.

https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/manual-config-for-asus-router-with-openvpn/

There are also countless guides out there to flashing firmware like Tomato onto these routers and then you basically can build your own web gateway in your house that is ultra secure and customizable. This is getting a little "into the weeds" tho.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I've used "range boosters" before. You are better off getting just one holy **** good powerful router vs those things all over the house.
I've never used any before. I tried to use an old WiFi router I had once as a range extender and could never get it to work. It was an old Linksys using ddwrt, but that was a good 5 years ago. I'm so tired of providing a great WiFi signal out on the street in front of my house and a poop signal in my garage LOL.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Bought a Roku Ultra this past weekend at Target. They had it on sale for $79 (from $89). I really dig it so far. It’s vary snappy moving through menus and apps. The only probs I’ve seen with it is with Hulu (w/TV service $39.98). It seems to buffer a lot. I had that happen on my Fire Stick over WiFi. My Roku Ultra is using ethernet. Maybe it’s a Hulu app or Hulu service problem, who knows. When I switch Hulu back to just movies etc, then we’ll see what’s up as I don’t plan on keeping their TV service. I’m keeping PSVue and will try one of the others next. CBS All Access, PSVue, and Netflix seem to be the most reliable as far as streaming on my Comcast plan. The YouTube app works pretty well and I might even try their TV as well. Amazon Prime Video starts off slow, but is fine after it gets going. Another reason for picking up a Roku is because of Amazon dropping support for YouTube. I haven’t tried the headphone jack on the remote yet, but it does come with a set of cheapo headphones. The added power button and volume control for the TV works great. There is an A and B button on the remote, but not sure yet what they are for. It’s been worth $70 so far.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
The AB buttons are for the like... 5 games available for Roku lol. Don't worry about those. For the headphones... the remotes work fine but ANY Roku you can run the audio through your smartphone via the Roku app. I do it all the time if I'm watching stuff in the bedroom and the wife is trying to sleep.

As far as Youtube, Amazon isn't dropping it... Google is pulling it from the Fire app store. #shotsfired. It should be simple enough to sideload the Android version of Youtube via Aptoide tho but tbth... Fire is kinda the worst of all the devices. I have all Rokus and if I was to get anything else it would be a Chromecast and a Google Home mini.

That is something else btw... Youtube TV with a Chromecast and Google Home devices is LIFE ALTERING as far as TV watching goes anyway. You just go "ok Google tune to ESPN" (example) and your TV changes to ESPN. Its nuts. And they are saying there will be a Roku app for Youtube TV soon enough. Everyone who has used Youtube TV has raved about it but the channel selection is still meh. But... if it has the channels you need its a no brainer.

For me... DTVN has buffering issues still but for $35/mo on the Go Big Promo. I'm good.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Good to know about the Roku app! Didn’t know that. That makes my Roku 2 purchase viable now lol.

How about that Roku “sleep saver”?

IMG_0680.JPG

Brings back memories of an old Windows screen saver from like the 90’s.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Lol I thought you returned that... surprised it still works for newer apps tbth but whatevs. With the price of the new Rokus now makes 0 sense to get one of the older ones. I grabbed a few of the Streaming Stick+ for Xmas presents when they were $50 during BF. They are $70 normally. Work great. My dad just grabbed one for free when he signed up for a month of DTVN plus the one I got him and he's cutting the cord too. Going from $100 DTV Satellite to $35 DTV Streaming.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Yeah, I thought about returning it. Decided to keep it in the bedroom. Heck it works better with Netflix and Hulu than my Apple TV does. Since I bought some movies through iTunes, I decide to move that in the family room lol.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Daggum Roku 2 doesn’t support audio through the phone app like the newer Roku’s. I guess I should expect that since they want you to buy the new stuff they’re selling. Thought I’d post up in case someone comes across an old one for super cheap.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Yeah because the Roku2 came out in like 2012 or something lmao.

Amazon just had a one day flash sale on the Roku Streaming Stick+ from $70 to $50 plus you get a free month of DTVN. I think you can still get a 3800 streaming stick for $35 (free when you prepay 1 month of DTVN) on the DTVN site. Its a good value regardless if you are going to use DTVN or not.

https://www.directvnow.com/rokunow

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
My Firestick is in my suitcase right now but I have not used it in over a month. Rokus are better at everything really. Only benefit to the firestick is sideloading android apps and the Alexa assistant is nice but for a REAL voice controlled device you need to get you a Google Home and a Chromecast. That is on a totally different level.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Once you program any device to a home automated system then you can get that to work on voice command. Now and days there is so much competition in the market for streaming roku Google amazon etc so far I like the idea of side loading so far there is much more then just streaming that works for me.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Scotty, are you going to be able to stay connected to the socials while your in service? Hope so Also, you’ll have to let us know how your TV viewing services work out there too.

81 - 100 of 158 Posts