Mustang Evolution Forum banner

121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
After a week or so with new devices. Fire TV, great as usual. Problem... no YoutubeTV app and likely won't get one. Have regular Youtube sideloaded and it works fine. Terrarium, Morpheus and all the other sideloaded apps work great. Gonna see what YoutubeTV looks like on the optimized YTTV website on the Silk browser.

Android MiBox is really REALLY good. Super fast, built in Chromecast is great. Can sideload anything. If it has the apps you need, I'd get it over anything else right now short of needing a high power 4K machine and then I'd get a Shield or an Apple TV4K if you are balls deep in the Apple Ecosystem. Only negative to the MiBox is it doesn't have a legit DirecTVNow app (can use via built in chromecast tho) or an Amazon Video app yet. Shield does, some actual Android Tvs do, just needs to be ported over to all Android TV and we are good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's only a matter of time that the cable companies jack up pricing on their Internet. I am fine with inflation, but it is generally 4 to 5 times higher.

And there is never a middle tier that makes sense. I live alone, so I do not need 50Mbps and 25 Mbps is plenty. The next tier below is usually 15Mbps or lower. Give me a break.

In fact, it is already happening. The pot's temperature is slowly increasing every year.

And the classic, "Thank you for being a loyal customer!" Really? What options do I have? :nonono:

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Options are very limited in the USA, only going to get worse with Net Neutrality. Prepare thy anus unless there is comprehensive reform passed that re-installs net neutrality laws and breaks up these monopolies that the ISPs have. They are not "technically" monopolies because you have other options for internet (dial up, LTE, DSL)... but yeah... they are.

Get a proxy and/or a VPN now if you don't have one. I roll with SmartDNS for my proxy and Express for a VPN but PIA or Nord will work well too. I have to have that sort of setup to get ALL my USA programming over here but even if I was still in the states I'd be doing this now. Going anonymous is about to be more important than ever.

ok .../rant... but still.

Good thing I live in Europe where there are literally 4 or 5 high speed fiber options near me and because there is actual competition (yay Capitalism!), the prices are low. I pay appx $75USD a month for 300mbps fiber. **** hauls ***.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
We are gonna feel the tip of Comcast here soon (or maybe the base lol). I’ve been home the past 5.5 weeks rehabbing after a hip replacement and am about to run out of our bandwidth allotment this month. Fortunately, this should be my last week off barring any issues the doc sees in the X-ray.

IMG_1166.JPG

I’m gonna ask if the 75 or 100 plan has a higher cap, but I’m betting it doesn’t. We already pay $81 with taxes and $10/mo rental fee. They add at least $20/mo to the cost if you don’t subscribe to their cable service.

IG: @ ab_mach1

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just got the 300mb plan i checked my speeds and n band is getting 50 download and ac band is getting 300 mb

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
Dang... I'm down in the 1.2-1.3 mbps. Perks of living in the middle of nowhere.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Screw data caps. I mean wtf seriously.

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
119 Posts
I live in reno nv and google is being built out here next to tesla and apple and switch. Charter says as soon as google is up and running charter is all ready for 1000mb plans.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
I live in reno nv and google is being built out here next to tesla and apple and switch. Charter says as soon as google is up and running charter is all ready for 1000mb plans.

Oh, nice...near the Bunny Ranch!

Yeah, it’s BS. Especially for the fact that only Comcast has them around here (as far as I know).

Its a state based thing... you can google which states have laws that allow caps and which don't. It'll probably all be a thing soon tho. I dunno, all depends how the USA stuff goes. I don't know of any caps in Europe. Again, competition. Like in the cell phone industry how "2GB is plenty of data" and then you have Sprint and T-Mo offering full unlimited and eventually ATT/Verizon broke and offered it again. Why it was so good the Feds blocked the attempted T-Mo/ATT merger 7 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
DirecTV Now 2.0 is out for everything now but the Roku and that's about to drop. Pulled the MiBox off the spare room and sideloaded a bunch of stuff. Surprise, everything works... Amazon video apk pulled from a Shield, DirecTV 2.0 pulled from my FireTV and a bunch of other stuff. Have it hardwired by a USB to ethernet adapter with extra USB ports and a 1.5TB external plugged into it and its my primary media center. Love it. $64 for MiBox right now, $14 for Ugreen ethernet adapter and roll. I don't have a single Fire device anymore except for one on standby to pull Fire apks for use on the MiBox. Rokus everywhere else. I keep going back to Roku... everything... EVERYHING just works on a Roku. Can't sideload anything but that's why I have the MiBox on my main TV downstairs. Plus if I really want to watch anything on a Roku I can just torrent it to my PLEX server and then watch.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Yeah, I’m really diggin the Roku. Still haven’t tried DTV yet, but probably will once it works on the Roku. I’ll probably wait a few weeks in case they have some bugs to work out.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
They have it now but its not the new 2.0 version and I would wait as well. Works well on Fire and sideloaded to MiBox. DVR has worked fine and the interface is way better and stuff loads super fast.

Would highly recommend the MiBox if you are good at tinkering with programs and sideloading stuff. It is not great out of the box but tweak it a bit and its the best device I own easy. I am kicking around picking up a Shield... $200 but it can do SO MUCH... Probably would be better putting that $200 towards a nice 4K TV with Android TV already built in tho...

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I have been thinking of getting into tinkering mode with this stuff. I'll have to read more about the MiBox.

Have you heard of or tried Philo? The channel selection has a few more of what we don't have with YouTube TV. It seems pretty new, so I've been wanting to hear from others about it. https://try.philo.com/

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Yes I have tried it. Its great. There is no guide yet, but it lists the highest trending shows on the homepage splash and then the channels are a grid kind of like an phone app drawer with what is currently on. You can trial them with 0 credit card or anything to start with. They ask for CC info after like a week IIRC. Only available for Roku currently but they are dropping a Fire and probably an Apple app this summer as well. If I didn't have the DTVN Go Big promo I would have cancelled DTVN already and went straight YTTV/Philo which is what most ppl seem to be doing these days. $35 if you already have YTTV plus $16 (or $20) is very hard to beat for what you get and how stable it all is. I never buffer on YTTV when I'm hardwired on the MiBox and never had an issue with Philo buffering on the Rokus either.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Sweet! I’m gonna do a trial with it. It’s hard NOT to try something that’s only $20/mo TBH lol. I hope these prices stay in this range going in the future.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
They will for awhile. But it does add up fast... I keep trying to get my wife to drop Hulu and Netflix because we have YouTube red and prime and anything else we can get on terrarium. Why I'm back and forth between a Roku Ultra refurb for $75 or another MiBox with Ethernet and a sideclick for $100. Roku is just easier and probably better for the wife and probably going with that but no sideload.

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
We are about halfway through our week trial of Philo. I like how you can save the stuff you like. They get listed first when you are on the main page, so you don't have to go looking for your shows. I wish it had a guide, but I haven't had a problem finding anything. There have been a few little crashes and some pixelation during shows, but nothing major. What I don't like is the LONG run of commercials. I was watching Billy Madison and there were 7 min commercial stops throughout. 7 min!!! I stopped watching after the third 7 min stop lol. I don't mind a few commercials, but 7 mins worth is just stupid. Haven't decided if I'll keep going when the trial is up.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
For Philo... the new DirecTVNow app is really REALLY good and is out for Roku now as well. You pay $40 for YTTV and $20 for Philo and that's as much as DTVN Go Big which gives you all of it in one shot plus sports locals and cheap HBO etc... I'm actually going to drop YTTV now that I got DTVN working properly with all my NYC locals and sports. I'd go so far as to say Philo is more for someone who is straight up LEGIT cord cutting getting their locals on antenna, maybe has a Netflix subscription and bums a provider login for the ESPN app (my sister lol). Then the $16-$20 for all the stuff on Philo seems a lot better than adding it to an already $35+ streaming service.

As far as watching movies or shows and getting long commercials... just watch on Netflix or Prime or Hulu (whatever you have) or load up Terrarium and roll.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
I also got a thing today...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGJX2YG/ref=twister_B01MYFC86Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

$775 out the door with 5% off, already on sale and no tax at the NEX. Actually its on layaway till my good TV stand gets here and a few other things but I'll bring it home soon enough. In the meantime my T95X Pro Android box finally arrived from China along with the Rasberry Pi keyboard remote so I have something to play with in the meantime.

121 - 140 of 158 Posts