Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car has been stuttering under load, if I'm going up a hill or accelerating with rpm's below 2k. I took it to the dealer and they drove it telling me it was a misfiring cylinder. I had originally thought fuel pump but this makes more sense. They want to charge me 90/hr just to look at it. I said no, Engine isn't throwing any codes so they said ill just have to wait for it to get worse before they can fix it. Any ideas? Not hindering my daily driving, just hate having something wrong.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Someone else may have to help there, I just know my friends 98 cobra has a miss at about 4500 and it's due to a bad coil pack he said. I've never actually replaced them myself. I have heard that usually when one goes bad, the others tend to follow. So it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and change all of them if that is the problem. Maybe someone a little more knowledgable on these can chime in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
my guess is coil packs. My car was doing the same thing. An easy way to see which coil pack is bad is to wait till it throws a code. once it throws a code the number will be like 806 per say .... take the #6 cylinder and switch it with another coil pack. restart the car and see if the code has changed to maybe 804 or sum thin per say. That is the car telling u that the #6 coil pack that u changed to the #4 cylinder is bad. U can get an oem coil pack for about $50 and installation is about 30 secs. lol Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yep def a coils going bad. Get ready to shell a pretty penny for all 8 of them. If one is going bad its more than likely that others will soon follow.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well went ahead and borrowed a ohm reader. Turns out a few of my packs are bad. Gonna go ahead and just replace them all. Rly simple job actually. Went to auto zone n got 2 accell coil packs to replace the 2 that were worst off. And they are def expensive, but can all ready tell the difference. In the end will prolly still spend less then getting it all done at the dealer. I appreciate your informative responses. Look forward to an increased MPG as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had the same issue. It literally took months for it to finally throw a code. Going up every hill at 2500rpm n below was the worst. Good luck man.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeap cylinder number 3 for me when it finally threw the code but I do remember changing my plugs which initially started all the problems n then after not finding any answers to why this was happening after some months I changed the plugs again to ford motorcraft n problem solved just for a little while till the coil finally died while I was at home visiting one weekend. I wish there was a better way to determine these issues with our ignition systems. But if it's time for a tune up anyway go head n change those plugs to see if it gets any better. Far cheaper than buying new coils. Also I know the advance here where I'm at has motorcraft coil packs for $60 a pop which was better than fords price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts