Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, even tho my last name is Ford I haven't liked most of their products. Basically I like Rangers and Mustangs, have owned way more Rangers than the cars. My recent impulse purchase of a '16 V6 coupe has had me reading up and it hasn't made me like the company any more. How did the V6 get weaker and have worse fuel economy just because the company wants to promote the Eco-boost? My 6 gets between 30 and 31 on the highway with 89 octane and a K&N filter element with heavy A/C use dragging it as low as 29+. This is a multi week average and not a couple of quick resets. I haven't found a stock Eco-boost to race but I'm doubting the horsepower claims as well. Now we have a Mustang EVO and that's great for those that want them but to have the maker shut down the option list and change specs (at least on paper) to inflate their favorite just sucks.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The loss of 5 HP from mine to yours is not going to be noticeable and is just in the tune.
The Ecoboost is the new V6, The V6 is being built for the Rental car fleets so the public can still buy them.
They do need the Rental car sales for CAFE on fleet averages and the EcoBoost cost and possible break downs in the first model years would not have worked in anyone's favor.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

The loss of 5 HP from mine to yours is not going to be noticeable and is just in the tune.
The Ecoboost is the new V6, The V6 is being built for the Rental car fleets so the public can still buy them.
They do need the Rental car sales for CAFE on fleet averages and the EcoBoost cost and possible break downs in the first model years would not have worked in anyone's favor.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
30-31 MPG is pretty darn good, I don't see why you're complaining

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

X2. Most of the 11-14 guys are getting between 28-33 on the highway. Have to keep in mind it's practically the same engine and the 15s weigh more. Do the 15+ still have a 2.73 gear on the base?

·
Registered
727 Posts
X2. Most of the 11-14 guys are getting between 28-33 on the highway. Have to keep in mind it's practically the same engine and the 15s weigh more. Do the 15+ still have a 2.73 gear on the base?

No, they all start at 3.15.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Why would they have engines with a difference of only a few hp?
doesn't make much sense to me(?)

Sent from my iPhone 7+ via Mustang Evolution app

·
Registered
727 Posts

Supposedly the shorter runners on the 15+ intake also have something to do with it. They had to reduce height to clear the hood.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

They likely adjusted the tune to achieve the mpgs they wanted with the additional weight and higher gears that the 15+ had which resulted in a slight loss of hp

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Ok but why introduce a 4cyl. with 310hp & a v6 with 300hp ?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Ok but why introduce a 4cyl. with 310hp & a v6 with 300hp ?

Like I said, the EcoBoost is the new V6, the 3.7 Mustang is just around for the Rental car fleets. But since it is around the public can still get the lower priced car.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
It is Obama-logic and heavy government emmission and fuel regulations. The standard Mustang is built for the average buyer. It is not an exotic sports car that is in a class with the Corvette, or high end sports cars. Ford is going to do what it needs to in order to keep the government happy and sell millions of cars to the largest possible section of the buying public.

This does not include the Shelby models. They have restrictions, but the buyers in that price range can pay more to get more power and performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
30-31 MPG is pretty darn good, I don't see why you're complaining

Not complaining about the car at all, I'm a 6 banger guy for longer than many on here have been breathing and this one makes me too happy.
I'm pissed about FOMOCO downgrading my favorite instead of actually building a better beast. I've read that Ford is offering a better tune for the Eco-boost and it will really be the #2 engine then maybe they can quit rating the V6 down to make the 2.3 look better. Maybe they can even put the option packages back for the 6, I looked today and they aren't a build option on the Ford site. Maybe you have to be a grumpy old man to think you should be able to order the car you want for 30+K.:banghead:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You have the same hp as my 05 gt, but get at least 12-13 more mpg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
582 Posts
I highly doubt the option packages will be re-introduced to the v6. They want to phase it out entirely but don't want to give up the rental fleet business. The rentals are the only thing keeping the v6 around.
If they could convince the rental fleets to buy the ecoboost instead, you'd likely see the v6 disappear entirely (at least until they can no longer offer a v8, then you'd see the 6 return with a turbo to replace the 8)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The EcoBoost is Ford Motor Company's 'Baby'. It's the 'future' of Ford. If you look at other auto makers, they are going with small turbocharged motors too :(

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Not complaining about the car at all, I'm a 6 banger guy for longer than many on here have been breathing and this one makes me too happy.
I'm pissed about FOMOCO downgrading my favorite instead of actually building a better beast. I've read that Ford is offering a better tune for the Eco-boost and it will really be the #2 engine then maybe they can quit rating the V6 down to make the 2.3 look better. Maybe they can even put the option packages back for the 6, I looked today and they aren't a build option on the Ford site. Maybe you have to be a grumpy old man to think you should be able to order the car you want for 30+K.:banghead:
Remember, this is the company who said, "You can get a Model T in any color that you want... As long as it is black!"

You can order any $30k Mustang that you want... As long as it does not have a V6!

·
Lorraine's driver
8,214 Posts
Ford wanted to export the Mustang. Nobody likes the v6's in Europe. They like the boosted four-bangers. That's why Ford put the sixers on the back burner. Sales here in the states are the only reason they didn't just eliminate it completely.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Ford wanted to export the Mustang. Nobody likes the v6's in Europe. They like the boosted four-bangers. That's why Ford put the sixers on the back burner. Sales here in the states are the only reason they didn't just eliminate it completely.
Yet in Europe the 5.0 outsells the little ecoboom by more than half.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
My dads 49er has the huge 100hp V8 & he says "That's good enough for me."
& mines 200hp
& the elly is 400
ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1476812805.288742.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts