Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the 3 dash buttons by the shifter ( rear defroster, tc, and fogs) with something like in this picture.

I would fab up my own aluminum plate to hold three led toggle switches. I really like the race car style of the switches and my main question is if its possible to get it to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the 3 dash buttons by the shifter ( rear defroster, tc, and fogs) with something like in this picture.

I would fab up my own aluminum plate to hold three led toggle switches. I really like the race car style of the switches and my main question is if its possible to get it to work.
What year is your car?

It matters because the specific functional nature of the switches changed over the years--some moved from being positive action to momentary, etc...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
indeed please keep us updated as to how u go about it, i would love to know as well if i choose to do the same then we would have a write up on how

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cliffyk said:
What year is your car?

It matters because the specific functional nature of the switches changed over the years--some moved from being positive action to momentary, etc...
It's an 02 gt

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It's an 02 gt
On the 2001 through 2004 models the fog lamp switch is a single pole single throw (SPST) ON-OFF switch. The rear window defroster and traction control switches are both SPST momentary contact (ON)-OFF units (the ON in parentheses indicates that is the momentary position).

Replacing any of these would just require having an appropriately configured switch and wiring it across the wires leading to each of the stock switches as indicated below.

Here are the switch diagrams;

fog lamp - ON-OFF to the brown and white/black wires:

rear window defrost - (ON)-OFF to the pink/light blue and black/yellow wires:

traction control - (ON)-OFF to the pink/black and gray:

In all three switches the switch illumination and indicator lamps are LEDs. Shown below is the t/c switch, the others are similar:

But there's a gotcha!

The LEDs have built-in dropping resistors so that they can be operated from a 12V source without an external current limiting resistor. Radio Shack does not sell such devices, however they are available--here's an outfit that does supply them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So the wiring for the switches would go across what you hi lighted on the diagram? And do I need a special switch?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would a toggle switch like in the picture work for tc and defroster even though they are momentary contact?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Would a toggle switch like in the picture work for tc and defroster even though they are momentary contact?
If it were momentary contact toggle switch.

A "regular" switch could be used, however you would have to switch it on and then immediately off to toggle the t/c or defroster on/off. The instrument cluster senses the trailing edge of the pulse generated when the switch is switched on and then off--I.e. it senses when you release the switch, not when you press it.

I believe the vendors of switches as you have shown do make matching momentary contact devices...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm gonna head down to radio shack and see if I can pick up 3 spst toggle switches with the covers. For defroster and tc I will just switch them on and off.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

·
Lorraine's driver
8,196 Posts
I'm gonna head down to radio shack and see if I can pick up 3 spst toggle switches with the covers. For defroster and tc I will just switch them on and off.
They make momentary switches that basically look just like toggle switches. I would think Radio Shack would have them. Based on previous posts on this thread, it sounds like you need one SPST toggle switch and two momentary toggle switches.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts