Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain the concept of dealer allocations to me? Is it not possible to simply order a car and select options for it at any time of year?

I was told today from a dealer that if I want (from them) to get a brand new 2014 with the options I wanted I'd have to order in their allocation before next Thursday. Otherwise I would simply have to go with what is already on ford lots if I wait until may/June.

Also, do all dealers order allocated cars at the same time every year or is it possibly just this one that has a Feb. deadline.

Anyways, it's my first new car and I'm very confused by all this.... And I just want to make sure I get something I really want.

Lem

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

Side note: next Thursday is not doable, this is why I'm asking.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Lol... what they're telling you is "order and use our allocations or we're going to use them up."

Allocations are given based on sales. More they sell, more allocations they are given. How often that are distributed, I don't know. But it's harder to get a nicer optioned car than a lesser one. I got my car allocated at my dealer at the end of May with no wait, it was thrown in production. So, sounds fishy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that's good news. I think I'm going to hit up a few more dealers in this case. I find it very hard to believe that, in a city with 2.5 million people that they can't order something in April/May to arrive for June. I understand that the 2014 is going to be a shorter run due to the new models but still... I'm fairly sure Ford isn't stopping production before summer.

Even so, how hard can it be to find a DI Blue, Race or Ruby Red with leather and either a pony/MCA in a manual tranny. I can't imagine it should be overly difficult.... I hope.

Lem

·
Registered
12 Posts
the assembly line has to move. So Ford is going to make 'X" number of mustangs, they try to option them as their market research dictates. We want only one color, the option we find optimal, etc. Now when you do all that math, there are only going to be a limited number of matching Mustangs that will match and the will be sent to all points of the compass--not to a single dealer. To have a car made to your order take extra time, and we hate to wait for a new car. Also to consider if the dealer did not have cars to show and test drive they would not sell many--and they need to sell those cars too.
Your dealer can also trade a car coming on allotment for one closer to what you want.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so it's not impossible to order something at any time as long as I'm willing to wait a couple of months for it... is that what you're saying? Because that would be fine. I can order as early as April, as long as it arrives in June (sadly it can't be earlier).

Lem

·
Registered
12 Posts
That should work Lem. Check with your dealer, and if you have more than one, ask them both--money talks. I'm not sure what the number on the '14 are gonna be, however you have to order before they shut down to re-tool for the 2015.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts