Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is why I always stay with my car.

Mastroianni’s 2008 Shelby GT500 Mustang was totaled during a test drive by a Ford dealer employee. His next shock was to learn that he wouldn’t receive a replacement or full compensation for the $60,000 he felt the car was worth.

“I can go on and on about this car,” says Mastroianni, the Bristol, CT resident told the Hartford Courant. “I lost time from work. It had a huge impact on my life. How does stuff like this happen?”

Dealer Totals 2008 Shelby GT500 on Test Drive, Car Owner Cries Foul - Gear Heads

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
91 Posts
Crap like this is one of the reasons I am perfectly content with my old GT. I would be lit up if that happened to my $60,000 car. Sadly, I have run across very few people at dealers who seem respectful enough to treat other people's cars as their own.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Well yeah that is not worth $60,000 lmao. I would have laughed when he said that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
Going to be a broken record and say, exactly why I do not leave my car anywhere. All it takes is for some idiot service porter who makes 10 bucks an hour to hop in your car and smash it up. Of course this guy wants 60k for his car. Someone else wrecked it, always shoot high. Any one of us would.

I love how the dealership feels like they are being attacked by this guy. Oh poor dealership. He went on every website and blasted you. Yeah, that's what those sites are for. You wrecked his car. What else is possible worse in your line of business? It was negligent. At no point should anyone at that dealership be putting themselves in a position to wreck a customers car.

IG @Oxford5pointoh

·
Super Moderator
17,937 Posts
They paid him $40k in a settlement... That's more than what it's worth. Classic case of someone trying to do the "but my bolt ons add xx to the car!" thing. The dealer even came right out and said the aftermarket parts need to be covered specifically to be added to the value which is correct.

I'm not trying to take the dealers side in this... I'd fly off the handle too... But $40k is more than enough to replace the car.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't care what the dealership, red book,black book, whatever. "Thinks" it's worth!!!! In a case like this they should have replaced it with a brand new Shelby!!!!!! I would have totally freaked!!! For a lot of us it took a lot of hard work and a lot of money to get into these cars! If I even got a scratch on my gt from taking it to a dealer or what ever, I would totally freak!!!!!! To me my mustang isn't an "appliance" it's part of the family and no price tag can be put on that! Sorry!

·
Premium Member
5,321 Posts
I don't care what the dealership, red book,black book, whatever. "Thinks" it's worth!!!! In a case like this they should have replaced it with a brand new Shelby!!!!!! I would have totally freaked!!! For a lot of us it took a lot of hard work and a lot of money to get into these cars! If I even got a scratch on my gt from taking it to a dealer or what ever, I would totally freak!!!!!! To me my mustang isn't an "appliance" it's part of the family and no price tag can be put on that! Sorry!
40k can go a long way towards a better car than his 08

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know! That's why I treat mine like gold! In a lot of ways u guys in the states are pretty lucky, pay a lot less for everything! Paying almost $6 a U.S. Gallon of reg. Fuel. 94% almost $7. Lol

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'd side with the owner and others that have personal attachment to their cars. They put a lot of time and pride into a car so it's more than just a car. Ok, maybe coloring the white stitching on the seats is crazy to some, but that's what that person wanted to do. Who knows what friend or family member helped with what, that's memories on wheels! Now that car is gone and he can replace a car with a faster, bigger, better whatever, but THAT car cannot be replaced. Sure he can roll into the next car show with a new GT at 40k but it's not a Shelby. It's not a car he's worked on and personalized. Any jackass can buy a new car and go to a show. Doesn't really fit until it's been modded or it's a limited production like a Shelby, Saleen, Steeda, Roush, etc... :hide:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can sympathize that he had blood, sweat, and tears into his car, but that's not how insurance works. Read your policy. If you dramatically improve your vehicle or house, you must contact your agent to ensure the changes will be covered. Just because you add a sweet covered deck to your house does not make it automatically covered by your homeowners insurance. If the owner feels the dealership is negligent, then he needs to bring a lawsuit against the dealer and not accept the offer.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
at the end of the day, a vehicle is only worth as much as someone would pay for it....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts