Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is any major differences between a 95 and 96 other then the tail light?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Adogg said:
Does anyone know if there is any major differences between a 95 and 96 other then the tail light?
If your referring to the GT. The 95 was tge last year of the 5.0. 96-98 was the non performance improved 4.6l v8. Are you looking to buy one or the other. Also I believe the manual trans is a t5 in the 95 and the 96 to mid 01 used the t45.

·
Registered
38 Posts
95 was the last year for the 5.0. In 96 they went to the 4.6. I'm sure there are more. That's the biggest different I know of, along with the taillights.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea iam looking at a 95 and a 96 gt both around the same price. If u had to pick which one?

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea i was leaning towards that one to with the smaller engine for gas but how slower is it?

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea i love the 5.0 engine but 4.6 has the same specs and it wieghs less

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
the 4.6 that year is a SLUG !!! It couldn't get out of its own way and its expensive to MOD IMO , 5.0 Parts are cheap ,and it didn't take much to make them quick unlike the 4.6 back then ..........

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeaa that is a good point iam lookimg to mod it after i get one. What is the best upgrade for it

·
Registered
172 Posts
Get the 5.0 for sure. If u got a little extra money to mod it with start with gears amd then a head/cam/intake swap and u would c a major improvement

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Had two 95 GT's one with bolt ons and 5spd and this one auto with minimal mods. Love them both...! 5.0L! FTW!

·
Banned
1,656 Posts
Id get the 95 for sure!..all previous posts have stated the reasons and I agree with them all!..5.0!!!..
If you're going to be doing mods just price cams for the 5.0 and the 4.6!!...that should give you an idea of what you're dealing with!.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Adogg said:
Yea i was leaning towards that one to with the smaller engine for gas but how slower is it?
Its just off the line grunt mostly. I loved my 96. That being said it wasn't stock.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

XXSTEVEO66 said:
Id get the 95 for sure!..all previous posts have stated the reasons and I agree with them all!..5.0!!!..
If you're going to be doing mods just price cams for the 5.0 and the 4.6!!...that should give you an idea of what you're dealing with!.
I wouldn't call that a fair comparisin... lot cheaper to buy a cam for a pushrod compared to a pair of cams for a ohc engine...

·
Banned
1,656 Posts
DaBluedude said:
Its just off the line grunt mostly. I loved my 96. That being said it wasn't stock.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

I wouldn't call that a fair comparisin... lot cheaper to buy a cam for a pushrod compared to a pair of cams for a ohc engine...
Im not bashing at all on the 4.6 just stating a fact of the older 5.0 being cheaper to mod...IMO if he's looking at bang for the buck the 5.0 is cheaper!..but I have respect for all mustangs!...

·
Banned
699 Posts
Imo stay away from the first year of any engine production to many bugs and rough edges that need smotheing out example would be the 4.6 not to bash it i love the later 4.6 but 96 and 97 had a few lets say issues (like any new engine design lol just look at the first yr of lt1 with alloy heads and cast block what a nightmare). I think most mustangers will admit the 4.6 didnt start getting really good till 98-99 and everybody will agree the 03-04 termies are prolly the cats meaooooow of 4.6l engines. Not to mention that the last production yr of a body style/ engine option has good collector appiel (not saying an average gt will fetch much in 20 but u never know. So by a dudauction of ludgic the 95 is just a more appielling car you have more parts for mods there cheeper and easier to do its the last yr of that engine need i say more?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If u get a 96 the first thing you should do is gears then the PI swap for a 99-04 gt that will get you of of power and a higher compression ration I think from 9-1 to 10-1 so right there you will be pushing about 270-280 at the flywheel. The 5.0 is cheaper to mod and you do get more bang but if you not going FI you won't be any faster in the end cause it would cost just as much as the PI swap would and you still had room to grow after the PI swap do it depends on how much your going to drop. I got a 99 gt for a grand more than the 98 gt once I found out about the PI heads and cams and now I'm almost to 300 at the wheels with about 1500$ invested into mods. Next is stage 2 comp xe 270s cams with beehive springs and a dyno tune and I'll be over the 300 rwhp make na.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
XXSTEVEO66 said:
Im not bashing at all on the 4.6 just stating a fact of the older 5.0 being cheaper to mod...IMO if he's looking at bang for the buck the 5.0 is cheaper!..but I have respect for all mustangs!...
Im def not bashing the 5.0. I love a pushrod. What I mean is that its important for some newer modders to know that the difference in cam prices wont be the same for other mods. One factor ill bring up is that the 96 is an obd (2?) System which helps in diagnosis and makes it easy to tune. If mileage is important the 4.6 does a lot better for sure. I hit over 30 mpg regularly.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
I know your looking at a 95 and a 96, but if it's a 4.6 you want I'd save some more and get a new edge(99+). Not a fan of 96-98 4.6L's at all. For what it cost to update a 96 to PI you could just get the new edge.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts