Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got me some free Denso Iridium spark plugs. Are they that great? what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Free is good!!! I personally buy only Motorcraft or Autolite for my stang. I refuse to pay for expensive plugs that offer no performance gains. But Denso is a good plug just high cost. Being free I would use them!!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Ditto, generally Motorcraft or Autolite run best in a Ford, I remember one time I bought Platinum Bosch plugs and put them in an old Pinto I had, burnt them up in a couple thousand miles, why? Dunno, but I won't do it again. LOL

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was always partial to NGK. I started using motorcraft when I got the stang. but I've moved back to NGK. I like um better. :D copper... accept no substitutes.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
NGK's are cool I have never used them in anything American But my 2 Outboard Motors (90 Yamaha and a 75 Suzuki) My Honda Accord, Mazda B2000 truck,Isuzu Trooper, My wife's Mazda 626,and Nissan Sentra used them as well as the bikes I had YZ 125, TT500, Katana 1100 and GSXR1100

·
Registered
35 Posts
yeah, they are normally for the jap machines. But I think I really like um in my Stang.
my Ranger ran best with Autolite Rapidfires.
my stang runs best with NGK's
and my 1981 toyota celica ran best with NGK's and... embarrased to say... champions. :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
There is a dyno trick I was told from a dyno expert who dyno's Dragsters for the NHRA and he said to install a brand new set of Champions will net you 8 to 10 hp for 3 to 4 pulls before they go back to normal. He does not know the scientific reasons for this but it seems to work on just about every car he has tried.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I remember discussing plugs with a guy with a Z28 Camaro way back in the early to mid 70s who said he got best results from Autolight plugs??? So go figure, that is an odd one for sure.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:bad: :badidea: bosch sucks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bosch sucks. the +3 and +4 design are horrible. what were they thinking? lets cover the flame kernal so it makes it harder to ignite the a/f ratio... then tell everybody more ground electrodes are better.

stick with the original design of the spark plug. hell, stick with copper. it's conducts electricity the best. platnium and iridium are just so you can run the plugs longer. I'd rather change my plugs once a year and pay $1.30 plug. ;)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Whatever you feel works good for you I guess, but I didn't have good luck with Bosch Platinum in an old 2.3L Pinto at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd recommend ONLY Motorcraft, and please, get copper! Platinum is not a good a conductor of electricty, and the only reason the OEM runs Platinum is fir longevity. They are not better!

I'd usually recommend AWSF-22c's for both N/A GT's, and N/A and blown Cobra's, and AWSFA-12C's for blown GT's.

Now some will saythat Autolite;s and Motorcraft are the same thing..they are not.
Motorcraft is essentially Ford the entity. Autolite is a Honeywell Consumer Products Group, which manufactures and markets FRAM and Prestone.

I would stay away from the Iridium...Some people like them but we haven't seen good things from them on the dyno, and for $$$ they cost, you would expect more.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
americanmotorsport.com said:
I would stay away from the Iridium...Some people like them but we haven't seen good things from them on the dyno, and for $$$ they cost, you would expect more.
I said it was free. And they have a copper core. show me the dynos!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use autolites or motorcraft, copper for sure

·
Registered
35 Posts
Black00GT said:
I said it was free. And they have a copper core. show me the dynos!
most plugs do have a copper core. it's just the tips that have the other metal on them.

And they are only put there for longevity. Copper is still the best conductor... but it's a soft metal. unlike platnium or iridum, which are very hard metals. and copper being soft, wears out quickly. hence the need to change them every 20,000-30,000 miles.

but if you got um free... hell free is the best price of all. might as well use um. :D

·
Banned
8 Posts
BOSCH SUCK ASS!

They have also been known to burnt or break the electrodes off and rattle around and do damage in the motor.I wouldnt run a bosch in my lawn mower.

I like motorcraft or autolite.They work real well with my DIGITAL 6 PLUS box.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts