Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i would like to find a good detroit locker for an 8.8 but i have found a bunch of diffrent brands and all of them are "the best". but main question is other then the fact that you can flip a switch and lock the limited slip. is a locker any better then a fsm t-lok? thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Are you talking about a line lock? If so, thats whats use to help do burn-outs at the track. It locks you front wheels so you don't go flying down the track and you can get your slicks nice and sticky.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i was told a detroit locker (like the one by auburn) is a limited slip but you can lock it up by a switch in your car so there is no time when there is power not sent to the driver side wheel. like i was always told there is a sec or 2 b4 power is sent to your other wheel.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
don't buy the locker. (most lockers are a PITA to switch anyway). The only time you would want your posi locked is at the 1/4 track, and that is it. If you go around a corner, and the wheels are locked up, then one cannot turn faster than the other, and you will wear your tires fast and get the screaching sound. as for a FMS posi taking 1-2sec, divide that number by about 1000. It takes generally a few milliseconds for a differential to react to slippage.

I had an auburn posi in my 8.8 when i had my mustang, and loved it. the FMS one is good and will hold enough power until you need a stronger one due to a huge blower and whatnot, but by then, you'll need to change to 33spline axles anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow thanks monkey. you summed it all up an now i kno to stick with a t-lok. thanks for the help. o and how my rwhp do u think i need to put down b4 i need a set of 33 spine axles? im looking at about 260-280 rwhp with this roots blower

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
You'll be fine with your 28-spline rear. And i think he means 31-spline.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
yeah, sorry, you will need over 300 at the wheels easily before you need 31 spline.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
a detroit locker is either on or off it clicks in or its off to slip it makes alot of noise and its NOT for cornering ONLY for drag use.... its a bad idea you dont need it anyway.... an auburn diff is all you will ever need and doubt you will ever get above the nees for a 8.8's tlok

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
heck, if you really really really want to, you can weld the spider gears together in the diff and that will turn your t-lock into a true locker ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
tell me

I need to know if the new eaton electronic locker is any good. I already toasted the regular eaton locker. I actually drag race at the track, and need to know if it's worth the money. I drive to the track ,race all nite, then drive home ,so a spool is out of the question. I run mid 12's, with a c-4, on drag radials....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
just get an auburn traction lock differential. you are wearing out your locker because you are driving your locker on your daily driver. You are taking corners with a locker and your tires are locking up and putting stress on the diff and tires.

get a limited slip posi unit and you will be able to last longer on that

·
Registered
3 Posts
your kidding

i intend to win. i'll never win bracket racing with a litemed slip. my 60 foot times change 2 tenths with the eaton working.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts