Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team I learnt how to drive manual on my car ('14 Gt) after a couple hours of practice on my girls mini.

Can you give me some telltale signs of clutch slip and how to diagnose?

I did put it into 2nd and slowly let go of the clutch and it didn't seem to kill the engine (I went forward too). Etc

Any other smart ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Try putting the emergency brake on, put it in second and let out the clutch and give it a little gas. If the motor dies instantly go on to the next.
Take it on a road where the speed limit is 45mph or above. Go through the first 3 gears quickly and get up to 40mph.....then shift into 5th and give it gas. Does the motor lug, or does the rpm go up without moving forward as fast as normal.
How many miles does your car have on the odometer? As you let out the clutch to take off where is the clutch pedal in relation to the floor when the clutch engages?
Let us know.

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
Your car has a lot of torque so you should try it in fourth gear. Rev the engine a little higher than you normally would, while slowly letting out the clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
I'll do the things you said tonight/tomorrow.

Car is just 10,000km so ~7,000 miles.

Clutch engages around 70% up the way. So as I'm letting go 70% of the way to fully let go.

If you mean 70% up from the floor I'd say you have an issue.
When was the last time you checked your brake fluid in the master cylinder or do you notice any leaks under the car.
I would assume your car is still under warranty.......right?

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Your car has a lot of torque so you should try it in fourth gear. Rev the engine a little higher than you normally would, while slowly letting out the clutch.
I guess it's going to take time for me to call 390lbft of torque a lot. I'm used to a lot more from a SBF.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
My 14 TrakPak only has 8900 miles and when I let out the clutch it's only about 3" to 4" from the floor.
I should have asked you how many inches/cm from the floor before it engages, that is the way the Ford dealer would test it......or one of the ways.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so.

Emergency break and 2nd gear. Slowly let out and revs dropped to 700 then climbed back to 1000 and then dropped again and killed it. By the time it killed the engine I was around 70% off the clutch (where the picture shows).

45 miles 5th gear. It didn't bog the engine down. It just very slowly gained speed in line with the revs. It didn't seem to slip there. I tried a bit of gas at one time and full wot at another, no change - slowly climbed.

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
So why do you think your clutch is slipping?

All the indications point to a normal clutch.............if the Mustang and Cooper are the only sticks you've driven...............drive another 1000 miles in the Mustang and then make an evaluation just like you did yesterday/today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts