Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any engine difference between the 99' and 01' Cobra's?

I'm just gonna stick with my V6 as it is for now, no mod, and upgrade to a Cobra next Winter. Just wondering with any difference.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
There was no 00 cobra besides the R. Ford lost horsepower they were supposed to have on the cobras so they took a year off. If you can find a 00 cobra it's worth a million

·
Registered
800 Posts
audioqueso said:
Is there any engine difference between the 99' and 01' Cobra's?

I'm just gonna stick with my V6 as it is for now, no mod, and upgrade to a Cobra next Winter. Just wondering with any difference.

Thanks guys.
Get yourself a 03-04 Mach1 and you will have the 01 Cobra Engine along with the Shaker hood, and it is very appealling too, talking from recent experience here...

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Ken said:
I am pretty sure the Mach1 does not have a cobra engine.
305 hp 32V 4.6L V8, it sure does. people have dynoed them at 320 hp though, I guess Ford didnt want to get into the same HP rating mess again. If i got a new car I would get a Mach 1 and stick a Vortech or Paxton under the hood.

on a side note: I saw in motortrend a turbo conversion for the '03 cobra. it cost $5000 and brought the 390 hp cobra to a whopping 400 hp, hahahaha

·
Registered
800 Posts
yup basically, just doesnt have the bottom end of the cobra engine...and that is the reason they did not give it the badge of the SVT vehicle... kinda stupid, has the same internals, except for a few things they left off unpurposely to have that little distinctive differance, minus the noticable....

·
Registered
800 Posts
V6PowerStang said:
what bottom does it have? iron right? any more info, this is new to me?
Here is some info on the specs: http://www.mach1registry.com/specs/specs.htm

Its basically the same identical engine the 99-01's had in them for the Cobras I believe...

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I'm not sure when Ford started the IRS system on the Cobra. That might be a difference.

what bottom does it have? iron right? any more info, this is new to me?
Not sure about wether the block is aluminum or iron. Judging by the compression ration the heads must be aluminum. And it will makes most power at higher RPMs. Since there is no blower, I don't think they have forged pistons in it. Most likely a aluminum rod with the piston. And I believe the crank is iron.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Cobra got IRS in '99. '01+ are a tad improved, and the '03 is improved and has 31 spline half shafts instead of the old 28 splines they used up til them. Def. needed with the power they are making.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts