Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After putting 3.55 gears in i have had gear oil cumming out of the vent tube .I bought the turkey baster type vent tube for it and it still comes out of that also i changed to royal purple a couple months ago and it seemed to have gotten worse after i put that in .Any one else experience this problem? and if so how did you solve it .

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
How much fluid are you putting in? You really should not be experiencing this problem under normal driving conditions.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mechanic did the fluid change possible he put to much in but not sure if u can really over fill it

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
You can. See if you have any invoices detailing how much fluid was used, it really is not that much, even on my Fiance's axle with the GT500 finned cover (increases capacity) i cant even get 2 quarts in there.

If its over filled, it would make sense that its pushing fluid. Other than that, i cant see how you could be pushing that much fluid.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
After putting 3.55 gears in i have had gear oil cumming out of the vent tube
Seems like your car's getting a little excited down there....

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol bad word choice back to the subject i bought the turkey baster bulb type vent and it is still leaking so i'm wondering if there is a problem with the gears it self as i am getting some gear whine

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
I too installed the "Turkey baster" type differential vent. Mine never pushed oil past it so I'd agree that it was filled too high. It states in most books to fill until the oil starts to dribble out the fill hole; this is too much for the mustang differential. Fill until the level is about a half inch from the fill hole. For "do it yourselfers", use your pinky finger and place it in the fill hole, bending the tip of the finger down. When the oil level touches the pinky finger tip, your done.
There is an official tool to measure the fill though. Again, I suspect your mechanic simply filled until it dribbled out from the fill hole. On these year Mustangs, its on the axle tube; hard to get at. I installed a Ford Racing differential cover with a drain and fill hole installed.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
The official tool is sold only in boxes of 50...ask for it by it's real name: Paper Clip

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input that's what I'm thinking as before i had the gasket changed it was ok as far as it leaking out of the bulb it was after the gasket changed it started again but i had it changed in Sept been to VA and back and it's still coming out of it thinking it should of stopped by now little worried about it .But putting the car up for the winter soon give me time to figure whats going on with it.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
The official tool is sold only in boxes of 50...ask for it by it's real name: Paper Clip
I actually have the tool. wooden handle, long metal tube, with a U-shaped tip that gets placed in the differential fill hole. The tip has 1/4 inch increments. Resembles a bent oil dip stick I suppose.

I think my father in law (God rest his soul) gave it to me years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I actually have the tool. wooden handle, long metal tube, with a U-shaped tip that gets placed in the differential fill hole. The tip has 1/4 inch increments. Resembles a bent oil dip stick I suppose.

I think my father in law (God rest his soul) gave it to me years ago.
Do you happen to have a photo of this gizmo? I'm curious (and like getting tools I don't really need).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts