Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I am accelerating quickly, sometimes the car doesn't want to do a hard shift into 3rd gear. It's almost like the shifter gets blocked. It's the only gear that does this to me. This isn't my first manual Mustang, but I never had problems with my older one. Could it be because the car is so new, the gear box needs to loosen up a bit? I'm worried this is gonna screw me at the track. I can do a smooth shift into 3rd every time under normal acceleration, but if I'm racing through the gears, I get this jam in 3rd almost every time. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yea that's normal, the factory shifter bracket is garbage and under high rpm it's pretty likely you can miss gears. If u do a search on MT82 transmissions u will find a long list off ppls experience with these transmissions with solutions. Google will be your best friend in this particular situation, u will have hours of reading material so get comfortable :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of the mt82 transmission and its sorry excuse for a shifter. This is a very common problem with the stock assembly. It's due to the crappy remote linkage and bracket. But your problems can be solved with 3 letters...

MGW

End of story. Pull the trigger, you will not regret it. And this will all be a thing of the past. Good luck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of the mt82 transmission and its sorry excuse for a shifter. This is a very common problem with the stock assembly. It's due to the crappy remote linkage and bracket. But your problems can be solved with 3 letters...

MGW

End of story. Pull the trigger, you will not regret it. And this will all be a thing of the past. Good luck!
I concur.

Gear shift Vehicle Center console Car Family car

·
Registered
358 Posts
I agree with the MGW from what ive read being that I dont have the MGW i cannot speak from experience. I am still using the stock shifter and bracket (only have 650 miles on my mustang) and although i maybe really got on it 4 or 5 times i find that if you kind of guide it into 3rd it helps. I go from 1 to 2 going straight down no problem then 2nd to 3rd i kind of go in at a slight angle kind of like 4 to 5 and find that helps a bit. I never found myself in 5th instead of 3rd and this method seems to be working at least till i go with the MGW. Try it out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I went with barton. Havent missed a shift since. Heres why this problem arises. The gum rubber bushing is held in by zip ties. And the housing is made of crappy thin metal that doesnt give any solidity. The rubber just keeps moving around which mis aligns 3rd gear

shifter bracket (stock vs aftermarket)

·
The Blue Dragon
5,486 Posts
I think ford had comfort in mind a little too much when they designed this car. If you're not a hard core enthusiast then this car is great because from the factory it's pretty quiet and comfortable, but once you start to push it you really begin to see some of its performance oriented flaws

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Davey13GT said:
You've got to be kidding me right? A $35-37,000 performance car, the bushing looks like that? Now I'm not happy.
Energy Suspension sells a poly bushing for $13.99, thats supposed to solve the issue. That POS is fine when driven like a normal car. But I see your point, who drives a 420hp car normal.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not trying to thread jack, so I apologize in advance. I too am having occasional troubles with shifting into third. However, when I'm in 2nd, I'll go to shift out of 2nd and it won't let me. It locks into 2nd gear. I will then try again a half a beat later (clutch still engaged) and it shifts smooth as silk. It seems to happen most after a bit of spirited driving. I took it to the dealer yesterday and we couldn't recreate it. It only happens sometimes.

I could really use some help because I'm less than 10k miles until my warranty expires.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I went with barton. Havent missed a shift since. Heres why this problem arises. The gum rubber bushing is held in by zip ties. And the housing is made of crappy thin metal that doesnt give any solidity. The rubber just keeps moving around which mis aligns 3rd gear

shifter bracket (stock vs aftermarket)
I think the rubber shrinks when it's cold and you get a lot of deflection, whereas I seem to have less issues when it's hot outside.

Not trying to thread jack, so I apologize in advance. I too am having occasional troubles with shifting into third. However, when I'm in 2nd, I'll go to shift out of 2nd and it won't let me. It locks into 2nd gear. I will then try again a half a beat later (clutch still engaged) and it shifts smooth as silk. It seems to happen most after a bit of spirited driving. I took it to the dealer yesterday and we couldn't recreate it. It only happens sometimes.

I could really use some help because I'm less than 10k miles until my warranty expires.
When you say it won't let you, do you mean that the clutch pedal gets really difficult to push in? Because occasionally I have that problem.

·
Registered
325 Posts
When you say it won't let you, do you mean that the clutch pedal gets really difficult to push in? Because occasionally I have that problem.
The clutch pedal seems to work fine, the shifter just won't move out of 2nd. But it always goes on the second try every time.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just put the Barton in this morning. I love it! I got a great deal on it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts