Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A short public service announcement for the Diode Dynamics LED map lights for the 2005-2017 Mustang GT.

I installed the pair over the weekend and they look *great*. The only thing that I noticed is when you press the door lock on your fob to make the dome lights slowly fade to off, the LEDs are every so faintly still on.

I Googled, and there are some people who brought up the same issue. But I like some numbers and honestly I was a little worried about battery drain. I hooked up my Fluke multimeter and here are the actual numbers:

The LEDs pull ~35mA when on and ~3uA when off. Even with 3uA the LEDs are ever so dim.

The stock incandescent bulb also pulls ~35mA when on and ~10uA when off. Since it's filament, and even though the current is higher, the higher current is not enough for the filament to incandesce.

So, I am happy.

Science. It works.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Nice write up man! Mine did the same thing by staying on but it never drained my battery even after a week of just sitting there

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured it wouldn't be a problem with the battery, but I like to double check and put numbers to it.

Hopefully, if anyone else ever looks on the Internet, this will pop up. After all, it's was the first thing I did. :thumb:

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's weird I installed leds in mine not the diode dynamics rather some cheap lights off eBay. Mine don't stay on at all but while installing them I blew a fuse which made them stay on unless I pressed them off and then when I opened door they wouldn't stay on. Probably not your issue but just a thought. Overall though you definetly won't have an issue with battery drain though I installed two 9 led fog lights and I've left them on tons of times and have come back to the car and the battery hasn't dropped a bit so shouldn't be an issue with the tiny map leds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I upgraded all my lights to LEDs from Diode Dynamics. They are pricey, but the quality of the products is worth it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I upgraded all my lights to LEDs from Diode Dynamics. They are pricey, but the quality of the products is worth it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
No doubt. The stock incandescent bulbs are so yellow. The bright crispness of the white LEDs are simply amazing.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I like the license plate led it's cheap and somehow just makes it look better lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
ya i never thought about it until i saw one tonight on a wrx and it actualy looked really nice at night in the middle of a snow storm lol hard!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Middle of a snow storm tho? ? I would be indoors chilling, then again I'm in Texas so it's not like I have a choice but to sweat on the walk to my car because it's so humid lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
i just went to there website and checked out their bulbs.man besides there fog lights they all range between 5 and 20 dollars?wow i guess ill just make a clean sweep and upgrade all my bulbs....might as well ive upgraded everything else on my car.lol!And by the way id give almost anything to have a day where i was sweating on the way to my car.its been 0 to -20 every since mid october.just a miserable winter and no break until may.talk about jonseing to drive my stang.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I spent Jan - apr in Colorado and man it was so cold I loved it! I wish it was that cold here just without the snow. I did the same all in one sweep

·
Registered
254 Posts
The Diode Dynamics license plate bulbs were garbage. Everything else from them has worked well for me, but I won't give them anymore of my business because of how they handled my license plate bulb fiasco.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so they are so dim they dont effect your night time driving?
You can tell that the LEDs are on. They are faint, and at night it is obvious but nowhere near annoying for night time driving. Unless you have OCD about the fact that you can see that they are on, then there is nothing to worry about.

That's why I wanted to measure the current in the LED. Even with 3x lower current draw than the stock incandescent bulb, the LEDs are very faintly on. I was surprised, but it's a non-issue for battery drain.

The Diode Dynamics license plate bulbs were garbage. Everything else from them has worked well for me, but I won't give them anymore of my business because of how they handled my license plate bulb fiasco.
What happened? I have the license plate LEDs and they look FANTASTIC.

·
Registered
254 Posts
What happened? I have the license plate LEDs and they look FANTASTIC.
Sure they looked good... while they worked. Basically, I went through 4 sets of their license plate LEDs because each set would only last 2 weeks before failing (i.e. would not illuminate at all), and at the end of it they wouldn't give me my money back. Granted it was only $10 or $15 worth, but the principle irked me more than anything. Meanwhile, any other incandescent or LED, even eBay LEDs, I have tried have worked perfectly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll chime in here as well. I've got the blue led map lights, the license plate lights, 1st set they sent were blue, not what I ordered. Emailed them and they sent the correct ones along with return postage for the set sent in error. Also have the led strip for the trunk. Don't really like the way it sits but man is it bright.
I had Raxiom leds for my license plate and one side burned out in less than a month, which is why I went with the DD lights.

Ric

1 - 18 of 18 Posts