Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm always so careful with the car. I've always hand washed it always park away from any other cars in parking lots. I try to buy the best cleaning products etc. today during my wash I couldn't believe How scratched the taillights were I always use microfiber two bucket method grit guard etc. and I couldn't have scratched it more if I did it on purpose. Then I look at my Gt500 muffler tips and they are all scratched up and dirty which must have happened when I was TRYING to install that pos JBA X pipe that had terrible figment.

Summary be very cautious with tail lights they scratch if you look at them wrong. Also careful with wiggling around exhaust too much at least throw a rag on the exhaust tips.

Hard to see in the pic but here are examples and a pic of the car after my was in 49 deg weather

Sorry about punctuation sent from IPhone

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Some plastic compound or ultra fine buffing compound by hand should fix the tail lights and I recommend 'Never Dull' on tail pipes and other metal.. The thing with never dull is just keep rubbing and it will come out unless it scored or scared deeply.

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
The seam on a micro fiber towel will cause scratches like that. But honestly, that looks like you got some dirt trapped in your microfiber towel. I wax my tail lights and I have never had that issue.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The seam on a micro fiber towel will cause scratches like that. But honestly, that looks like you got some dirt trapped in your microfiber towel. I wax my tail lights and I have never had that issue.
I use the purple pakshak MF towels which are supposed to be very good. I think I might getting it from drying but even with that IM very careful. Unless these scratches were there from the dealer and their automated washes.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Some plastic compound or ultra fine buffing compound by hand should fix the tail lights and I recommend 'Never Dull' on tail pipes and other metal.. The thing with never dull is just keep rubbing and it will come out unless it scored or scared deeply.
On the way to look for it ha thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I use the purple pakshak MF towels which are supposed to be very good. I think I might getting it from drying but even with that IM very careful. Unless these scratches were there from the dealer and their automated washes.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

On the way to look for it ha thanks.
You'll be best with a plastic specific compound, very easy to make the problem worse if you use the wrong stage buffing compound on plastic

·
Registered
341 Posts
Microfibers are soft but they pickup micro sized particles. And if you use them dry they can scratch. If there are tags remove them also if the edges are sewn then those can cause scratches.

If l use microfiber towels. I only buy Costcos yellow microfiber towel, I remove the tags then run them through a rinse cycle first. No soap!

Also, ZAINO makes a borderless towels that DOESN'T SCRATCH!! Period! I use all their products, well not quite all but 80% of it. Because they make the best! Check out their website. If you don't know it, go to zainostore.com check them out.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,246 Posts
I'm sorry... Bahahahahahahahahahaaaaa! You guys have beautiful cars! Other then the tail pipe, I can't really see what you're talking about. I really should post some pics of all the defects, scratches, chips, swirls, splotchiness and orange peel I see when I wash my car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm sorry... Bahahahahahahahahahaaaaa! You guys have beautiful cars! Other then the tail pipe, I can't really see what you're talking about. I really should post some pics of all the defects, scratches, chips, swirls, splotchiness and orange peel I see when I wash my car.
X2. Whenever I wash mine I find some little flaw, but its too much fun to drive it vs babying it

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
X2. Whenever I wash mine I find some little flaw, but its too much fun to drive it vs babying it
I do too. At first it really got me down. Now I just enjoy her as she is. My bumper us jacked up though. Looks good in pictures but in person you can tell I live in Cincinnati with our crappy gravel covered roads.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok exhaust polished perfectly. I used Mothers polish, wool type 0 (fine), and never dull. It looks better than when I bought it actually.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Today's plastics vary widely in abrasion resistance, I use plastic scratch removers that work great on the visor for my motorcycle helmet on all the plastics that have scratches, it is a two part treatment with scratch remover, then a treatment to resist future scratches. The local plastic supply store has them.
good luck

·
Premium Member
25,510 Posts
the exhaust is a super easy fix, its metal can be smoothed out since its not clear coated. As far as the tail lights you may see if the dealer will handle it if its something that looks that bad~

·
Registered
672 Posts
I do too. At first it really got me down. Now I just enjoy her as she is. My bumper us jacked up though. Looks good in pictures but in person you can tell I live in Cincinnati with our crappy gravel covered roads.
Where do you live in Cincinnati? I live in Western Hills/Mack/Bridgetown area. I agree though, between all the frickin salt they put down on sunny days, the amount of dump trucks that use the road I have to travel on to work every day and my monthly trips to Columbus up 71 I have little nicks all over. I'm hoping that when I get it buffed after winter is over that it clears all that up lol.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Ok exhaust polished perfectly. I used Mothers polish, wool type 0 (fine), and never dull. It looks better than when I bought it actually.

Those pipes turned out perfect. If I didn't just paint mine black I should have buffed it with that stuff first!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm like a defect detector, when I clean mine I can spot things you'd normally need someone to point out to you. Last time I washed I saw the most insignificant little imperfection that definitely came from the factory on my rear bumper and I was like noooooooooooooo. But you seriously have to put your eyeball 2 inches from it to even see it. The day I brought it home i found a paint chip. My heart nearly stopped haha. I guess you could say I'm a bit anal retentive.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Where do you live in Cincinnati? I live in Western Hills/Mack/Bridgetown area. I agree though, between all the frickin salt they put down on sunny days, the amount of dump trucks that use the road I have to travel on to work every day and my monthly trips to Columbus up 71 I have little nicks all over. I'm hoping that when I get it buffed after winter is over that it clears all that up lol.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Those pipes turned out perfect. If I didn't just paint mine black I should have buffed it with that stuff first!
I live in Wyoming next to finnytown. I drive to Florence 3-4 times a week for my job. Wrecked my bumper haha.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Nice! Yeah I bet it did, 75/71 is like a high speed parking lot with debris flipping up constantly.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Nice! Yeah I bet it did, 75/71 is like a high speed parking lot with debris flipping up constantly.
Yeah I thankfully drive early when it is dead and back late at night when it is dead so no parking lot but the road is just awful. We paid for that stadium but cannot get nice roads.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
dirt trapped in your microfiber towel. I wax my tail lights and I have never had that issue.
Bingo. Also, there are very little differences between a good product and bad product as far as cleaning. I use a sponge and I got away from micro tiles because they leave behind a lot of random stuff.

Sponge, soap, shammy, spray wax. Done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts