Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been looking around for a cold air intake, and well, they are so expensive for me, a high school kid on the tightest budget ever. I was thinking about just making my own, just but a nice k&n filter and have a tube made. I have a 1987 gt, so it doesn't need any sensors or anything does it? What do you think of my idea? I'd probably have it made of aluminum if I could. Just let me know what you think about this. I want to make as much stuff my self as possible so that way I know it is right and it might be cheaper.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
make it out of PVC from home depot or lowes...i've made a handful of them that way for a few different model stangs...you can pick up MAF adapters at any autoparts in the CAI section to us on the PVC...and also clamps and grommets for any other sensors if you have them. finish the tube off with a coat or two of high heat paint...mainly for looks because your intake can be any color you want...also to help with any heat soak...much better then a metal tube

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
make it out of PVC from home depot or lowes...i've made a handful of them that way for a few different model stangs...you can pick up MAF adapters at any autoparts in the CAI section to us on the PVC...and also clamps and grommets for any other sensors if you have them. finish the tube off with a coat or two of high heat paint...mainly for looks because your intake can be any color you want...also to help with any heat soak...much better then a metal tube
That's a good idea. I didn't think of PVC.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Yeah since i have a K&N drop in filter im planning on just swapping the oem tube for a larger pvc tube..then paint it to match my car.

·
Banned
422 Posts
If your 87 is still speed density any change in air flow can cause your car to run very poorly. I would not make any changes to it until it has been mass air swapped.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, so I'll go with the PVC option, but what is the MAF? What does it take to switch over? Is there a kit? If so how much?

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts