Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking over the break I have from school I'm going to try a homemade mesh grill.
I plan on with a drimel drill, removing all the mesh or whatever from the stock grill where I'll have just the outside frame left. Them cut a piece of expanded metal or some other good material ill find at tractor supply, and fit It for the grill then attach accordingly. And paint it black of course

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Don't do it. Especially if your just trying to save money. There's people out there willing to buy your stock grill. Don't take the chance of ruining a perfectly good grill and wasting the time money on parts from tractor supply and a gallon of hot glue. Do it right the first time and buy the one you really want.
It may not be about the money, I can understand the need to feel like you custom made something for your car. But this is the face of your mustang. Get it wrong and you and everyone will notice it. Either way, good luck!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don't do it. Especially if your just trying to save money. There's people out there willing to buy your stock grill. Don't take the chance of ruining a perfectly good grill and wasting the time money on parts from tractor supply and a gallon of hot glue. Do it right the first time and buy the one you really want.
It may not be about the money, I can understand the need to feel like you custom made something for your car. But this is the face of your mustang. Get it wrong and you and everyone will notice it. Either way, good luck!
I agree. I don't think anyone is that is bored enough to try and do this.

Then again... You car, your choice.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hot glue was not an option lol but I understand what your saying.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hell I say do it, you might come up with something others like... Never know unless you try... Just be prepared to buy a new grill if it don't work out... Or for that matter order a new grill and do the mod to it... If you like it, install it... Either way take lots of pics and show us!

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you do right and spend some time on it it will look nice and unique. Just dont get cheap mesh, im sure you can find some good mesh from some where. It won't look rice if its done right. Be creative and think it through.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've been thinking about this myself. No hurry to get it done and I will do it right when I do get around to it. My vague plans are to start out the same way as the OP; I think I'll try to find a wrecked car to butcher the grille. For the mesh, I have a local metal source I can get a nice honeycomb mesh very much like the classic Mustangs. I plan to get some angle stock & weld up a frame to secure the mesh material to and make a good, solid mount to the stock grille frame.

SO, I say go for it, but take your time & do it right.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been thinking about this myself. No hurry to get it done and I will do it right when I do get around to it. My vague plans are to start out the same way as the OP; I think I'll try to find a wrecked car to butcher the grille. For the mesh, I have a local metal source I can get a nice honeycomb mesh very much like the classic Mustangs. I plan to get some angle stock & weld up a frame to secure the mesh material to and make a good, solid mount to the stock grille frame.

SO, I say go for it, but take your time & do it right.
Post some pics when u do

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Doing your own custom work is always fun/interesting. If you don't mind that you may mess up the grille and have to buy a new one, then I say go for it. I've always done all of my own work on my Mustang, even when doing things for the first time when I was 15. You learn a lot about your car with projects like this and it's cool to say "I made that."

Good luck with your mesh grille!

Shane

·
Registered
881 Posts
If you're gonna do it, go to the boneyard and pick up a grill that doesn't matter if it gets destroyed.
If it looks good, throw it in, if not, you saved your original grill

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

And if you do destroy your grill, Shane from AM will be more than happy to sell you a replacement lol :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts