Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this seems like a silly question, but let me explain. My '98 Mustang only has 48k miles on it. Does age alone mean that I need to replace parts? Or is it mostly due to wear and tear from high mileage? So if I bought a car and rarely drove it, would it still need a lot of stuff done to it 15 years later? Thanks :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes. There are parts that need replacement regardless of whether they're actually used. Mainly rubber and some plastic parts. Rubber will crack or rot, and plastic can become brittle and crack. The most common stuff to need replacement from age alone is weatherstripping. Some electrical insulation could also start to go, but that will likely take a lot longer. Tires weaken and crack, too.

Also, anything that can rust, if you live in a humid and/or salty environment.

If you live in a desert, all you have to worry about is rubber and paint, though.

Oh, and as long as you drive it every couple of months (or better yet, weeks), you don't have a lot to worry about with regard to everything else. Leaving them sit does pose other problems, but I presume you're just talking about driving the car on the weekends and such.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Letting a vehcile sit untouched is much worse than driving it. Vehicles are made out of steel, aluminum, rubber, plastic, etc... All these parts corrode and deteriorate differently. Plus, letting the engine sit is not good. Condensation that would otherwise be evaporated/ burned off during normal engine operation can collect and damage engine parts over time. If your vehicle had even minor rust, even if it was not visible, would be much much worse after letting it sit, as opposed to driving it and washing occasionally. I have a truck that sat for two years, and it was in pretty bad shape when I brought it back into service. Letting a vehicle sit is one of the worst things you can do to a car. Hope this helps

·
Registered
43 Posts
It all depends on the part. A lot of rubber parts may have to be replaced because they WILL deteriorate over time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts