Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cancelled my order from cj pony parts. It was my order of longtube headers. And its been 5 weeks and they didnt even get a tracking number for it. So i called mac up and the guy tells me theres a tremendous gain of hp and sacrifice of tq at the hole when you run your car with long tube headers and with shorty headers you get mid range and low end power and some top end. Then he told me with my set up of divorcrd pipes im loosing hp.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

True or false?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
If you dont mind some lost low end torque, plus LT's are way better sounding than shorties, so I've heard and red. But 4:10's will set that lost LT torque up right away ÷}

·
Registered
692 Posts
You will never notice the loss of power down low. It's so insignificant it's not funny

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im going to have my exhaust shop put a pipe across to form the h pipe and see how that works. I dont want all the trouble with longtubes its just more issues right? So im looking at the ceramic bbk shorties how are those?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Shorties are always a waste of money even if its for a repair, grab some 94-98 factory manifolds, they actually came with shortie headers, cheap and just as good as $350 shorties

·
Registered
280 Posts
Shorties are always a waste of money even if its for a repair, grab some 94-98 factory manifolds, they actually came with shortie headers, cheap and just as good as $350 shorties
You can use them but you'll have two dead o2 sensors sticking out of them which is ugly and you have to open up the holes on the flanges cuz the bolts on those headers wont't fit plus the time it takes to pull them out of another stang.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I still dont understand how back pressure gains torque?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
austinknoll said:
I still dont understand how back pressure gains torque?
You and me both,,,,

·
Registered
525 Posts
Im going to have my exhaust shop put a pipe across to form the h pipe and see how that works. I dont want all the trouble with longtubes its just more issues right? So im looking at the ceramic bbk shorties how are those?
I heard shorties didnt give you hardley anything,,that long tubes were the best for power ,,now im not sure what im gonna get..

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Butch said:
You and me both,,,,
Everyone tells me how, if you go duals you will lose torque but yet no one gives me a good explanation or proof that it does. I dont see how back pressure is good for any gas motor

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
austinknoll said:
Everyone tells me how, if you go duals you will lose torque but yet no one gives me a good explanation or proof that it does. I dont see how back pressure is good for any gas motor
I would go dual it evens the pressure out

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
From what I've always understood is the v6 is an even firing motor so a crossover mid pipe isn't necessary to even out the pulses but I don't believe it would be a bad idea to use one. Do make sure that if you go dual that you size the pipe right because back pressure is not good. An exhaust that is too large will cause back pressure as well as too small of an exhaust.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You may lose some tq but it removes the heat faster,,and allows your engine to breathe...Theres someone on here that posted a good article about back pressure,,theres alot opoinions about ,,look back on some previous links on here

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ok, i did a research paper on back pressure so heres the stripped down explanation. You want as big as a pipe as you can get and as free breahing as you can make it UNTIL it become s big that air no loner consistently moves through it. If your pipe gets to big or free breathing at low rpm's the air is no longer moving quickly because it is not forced to and it breathes less well then with a smaller pipe. Theres a great article explaning it i will try to find and post!

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Here you guys go, its not the one i was looking for but it explains it crrectly and more detailed with the pulses of the engine. i'm tired of back pressure talk so please read and spread!

No Specific Make The myth of "back pressure" - CarForum.net - Car Forums, Automotive News and Community

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
willrad00 said:
Ok, i did a research paper on back pressure so heres the stripped down explanation. You want as big as a pipe as you can get and as free breahing as you can make it UNTIL it become s big that air no loner consistently moves through it. If your pipe gets to big or free breathing at low rpm's the air is no longer moving quickly because it is not forced to and it breathes less well then with a smaller pipe. Theres a great article explaning it i will try to find and post!

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Here you guys go, its not the one i was looking for but it explains it crrectly and more detailed with the pulses of the engine. i'm tired of back pressure talk so please read and spread!

No Specific Make The myth of "back pressure" - CarForum.net - Car Forums, Automotive News and Community
Good find,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts