• Black plasti dip them, but not the lugs

Votes: 8 44.4%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I'm undecided if I plasti dip flat black my Brembos. What do you suggest?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
+1
I did mine including the lugs, if I had the money i would have gotten them paited. I'll post a pic when i get out of work.
Yeah the Brembo wheels are nice, and worth painting. I have the stock cheepo 18 wheels, and I couldn't see dropping the money to powdercoat them.

For me I'd just rather get new rims, plus I want to do 19" or 20" rims.

OP I would say plasti dip them, if you like the look on your car, and plan to keep the rims, take them to a shop and have them powder coat them for you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many cans do you think I will need? Do you know the brand and I guess is a flatblack.

I think that the Brembo wheels look great either way. The advantage of plasti dip is that if I get bored, very easy I can return them to stock, or if I like the looks of them in black, I can paint them permanent.
Thanks for the info Guys!!!

·
Registered
720 Posts
If you want black brembo wheels you can buy them online instead of painting yours, then sell your current ones and you could almost break even. Plastidip first to see if you like them black.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plastidipped my wheels, I like them oem or black, both ways look good. I'm not sure how long they will last, finish does not look like they will last a long time that way. I did 5-6 coats.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I plastidipped my wheels, I like them oem or black, both ways look good. I'm not sure how long they will last, finish does not look like they will last a long time that way. I did 5-6 coats.
how long ago? I know it shouldn't but it seemed like mine took almost a week to look normal. I thought they looked really bad the first few days and was actually gonna peal it off. They got much better after a week.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It seems like it's durable stuff.. and you can fix it if it chips without starting over so I don't think you'll have trouble maintaining them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will like to follow up on my experience with plasti dip. After one month, one of my wheels began to peel off on a spot, and after coming to a decision that the Brembo package wheels look much better in their stock graphite finish, I tried to peel them off like on the videos, and it wasn't that easy only the wheel's rim where easy to peel, on the rest of the wheel I had to use Goof off (liquid) & Turtle wax "label and sticker remover" spray, was an all day work, and still the wheels looks dirty, I will finish them on another day.
Is it worth it?. I will say NO, but at least is an option to let you know if you want something more permanent like a powder coat paint job.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
peeled off my stock 18" GT wheels with no problem. When I got my new rims I pealed those clean before storing them. Was easy.

any chance your wheels were not 100% clean before you plastidipped them?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
He probably didn't put enough coats of plastidip on them for them to easily peel off. I painted a set of wheels for my f150 with plastidip and didn't put alot and it was horrible to peel off. When I did my lightning I put like 5 or 6 coats and it came right off everywhere but the corners where there wasn't as much coverage.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I will like to follow up on my experience with plasti dip. After one month, one of my wheels began to peel off on a spot, and after coming to a decision that the Brembo package wheels look much better in their stock graphite finish, I tried to peel them off like on the videos, and it wasn't that easy only the wheel's rim where easy to peel, on the rest of the wheel I had to use Goof off (liquid) & Turtle wax "label and sticker remover" spray, was an all day work, and still the wheels looks dirty, I will finish them on another day.
Is it worth it?. I will say NO, but at least is an option to let you know if you want something more permanent like a powder coat paint job.
A microfiber cloth and a quick rub takes it off so quickly. 5 mins a rim max. Then there will be little rolled balls of plastidip on the rim which will easily come off with quick trip to the car wash or a stiff spray from a garden Hose.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts