Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im seriously considering buying some BBK long tubes.... im cheap to say the least and could care less what anyone else thinks. A good example is my exhaust that I chopped off just before the rear axle and turned the ends down with 30* bends. I care about power, to hell with the rest. So, Im thinking about dropping out the whole exhaust, putting in the BBK long tubes and then welding new straight exhaust pipes back to my axles and dumping them like before. This would totally eliminate the X pipe and cats, I live in FL so no emissions testing here. My question is, am I going to actually loose power doing this? Im pretty sure that having some back pressure is a good thing but how much? Would the x pipe be the way to create this pressure?

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
The X or H will provide a better savaging affect which equals more power and it will also provide better velocity.. Now you'll need a tune with the LT's and if you have your tune adjusted for a divorced set up that straight through you can make the same power in theory..

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have a tune so no worries there..... just trying to get the most bang for my buck. I have a CAI and the muffler delete works for me. I could ditch the LT's and go with gears...... steeda will install with all parts for $500...hard to beat that. Im worried about loosing torque, the V6 needs all the torque it can get. at least i think so

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
'11-12 have a H-pipe.

'13s have a hybrid H/X pipe

However, exhaust on these cars won't make a lot of difference either way. Only change them after you've done gears, tune, and just about anything else that gives bigger numbers.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Don't worry bout backpressure, worry bout velocity. No x or h pipe and you'll lose power. X pipe gives couple more HP than h, but nothing u can tell/feel. With your power I'd go 3" pipe with 3.5" tips. If your going to run tips.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea... steeda does it ALL (minus the tune) for 500 plus tax.... so just under $550

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
exactly. I wouldn't let anyone else do it accept a mustang shop. Im lucky to have a few choices here in FL but Steeda has the best price hands down. I did the research a month or so back but have not had the time to get anything done.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im sold.... 3.73 gears it is..... as pop's would say, it's mo betta

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I figure most new edges 99-04 with 260hp run 2.5. So 300+ hp, 3" be fine.
You have no idea how engines work. :p

We might make 305hp, but we make less torque than the 4.6 engines.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
'11-12 have a H-pipe.

'13s have a hybrid H/X pipe

However, exhaust on these cars won't make a lot of difference either way. Only change them after you've done gears, tune, and just about anything else that gives bigger numbers.
I thought 11-13 had the hybrid?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts