Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bama always tells you to return your car to stock before uploading new tunes onto your tuner. Is this just in case something happens to your tuner? that way your car is at least set to stock... or does the tuner know what the last tune loaded was and needs to be set to the stock setting? just curious, I fallow bama's directions pretty much exactly but I dont want to load my stock tune on my car just to put another tune on the tuner that I wont use until I get on the dyno anyhow.... AM staff, what say you?

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Bama always tells you to return your car to stock before uploading new tunes onto your tuner. Is this just in case something happens to your tuner? that way your car is at least set to stock... or does the tuner know what the last tune loaded was and needs to be set to the stock setting? just curious, I fallow bama's directions pretty much exactly but I dont want to load my stock tune on my car just to put another tune on the tuner that I wont use until I get on the dyno anyhow.... AM staff, what say you?
Prior to loading your new tunes from AM you need to return your car back to its stock mode. Once that's done, connect your performance tuner into the computer, check for updates and after load your tunes onto the tuner. Then upload your new desired tune back into your awesome pony

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know how to do it, just wondering if returning to stock is really necessary... I guess I'll just keep doing what Bama says and stay safe

·
Registered
367 Posts
I mean, I would keep returning it to stock because the tuner could crash and you could possibly loose your stock file somehow? I dunno, just my .02 lol

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
I know how to do it, just wondering if returning to stock is really necessary... I guess I'll just keep doing what Bama says and stay safe
I would assume it is necessary being that AM says it needs to be done in order to make sure the transfer is completed properly.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Well, some tuners do partial writes and only modify things needed. If you don't return to stock and the tune you're overwriting modified something the new tune doesn't touch, it may combine them and create issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm guessing you need to return the car to stock because before the tuner puts the new tune on the car it saves the current tune as the stock tune. Which means if you didn't return your car to the stock tune first you are going to lose it because the tuner saved whatever was on your car as the stock tune. Just my guess lol.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
I mean, I would keep returning it to stock because the tuner could crash and you could possibly loose your stock file somehow? I dunno, just my .02 lol
It has happened in the past that a tune has caused problems, and flashing to another tune without going back to stock tune first caused the engine to not start; now you have a dead vehicle that either has to be towed to a dealership for a complete ECM load, or you call the tech support group of the tuner manufacturer you have to get them to help.

And if this is the case, make sure you plan ahead: are they open on the weekends for help with your dead car?

Follow the directions of the tuner manufacturers: go back to stock prior to installing a new tune.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has happened in the past that a tune has caused problems, and flashing to another tune without going back to stock tune first caused the engine to not start; now you have a dead vehicle that either has to be towed to a dealership for a complete ECM load, or you call the tech support group of the tuner manufacturer you have to get them to help.

And if this is the case, make sure you plan ahead: are they open on the weekends for help with your dead car?

Follow the directions of the tuner manufacturers: go back to stock prior to installing a new tune.

yea. not worth turning my car into a pumpkin over..... I'll just do as suggested

·
Registered
411 Posts
Maybe Dan from American muscle can chime in... I did it by accident before and haven't had a problem... But I don't want to have problems later...

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
If the manufacturer recommends going back to stock prior to changing to another tune, I'd do it. Look at it this way, if you follow directions and something goes wrong, who's to blame? The manufacturer. If you don't follow directions and something goes wrong, who's to blame? You are, and you can only hope the manufacturer will continue to support your mistake, at a price you can live with.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I said I did it by accident so that's why I'm asking.... The question remains what are the consequences if any? Can someone with some knowledge of the subject answer?

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
For my 2003 I dont have to revert back to stock, I can just upload a new tune to the vehicle. The factory tune is backed up in the programmer

·
Registered
184 Posts
For my 2003 I dont have to revert back to stock, I can just upload a new tune to the vehicle. The factory tune is backed up in the programmer
Exactly

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeah I wonder why it would stress going back to stock as if it could get corrupted even tho the tuner also always makes you back up the stock file. I even made a separate folder on my computer to keep the stock file
My guess is that answer #7 is the correct one. The tuner always saves the last tune as your stock one before loading the new one so you need to change to stock before a load.

·
Registered
348 Posts
FWIW, the first time you tune your car you should make a back up copy of the stock tune on your PC just in case something happens to the one on the tuner.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
My guess is that answer #7 is the correct one. The tuner always saves the last tune as your stock one before loading the new one so you need to change to stock before a load.
I think that your premise is wrong. I have changed multiple times between tunes when I was doing testing for a tuning company without setting back to the stock tune first. No problem going back to my stock tune eventually when we were done testing various things on custom tunes. When you go from one custom tune to another it doesn't take the current tune as the "stock" tune in my experience.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think that your premise is wrong. I have changed multiple times between tunes when I was doing testing for a tuning company without setting back to the stock tune first. No problem going back to my stock tune eventually when we were done testing various things on custom tunes. When you go from one custom tune to another it doesn't take the current tune as the "stock" tune in my experience.
With my SCT tuner it always says "saving stock tune" before loading a new one. I just assumed that that meant it was saving the current tune. Maybe it does not save any tune if it is not the stock one I guess. I have never tried loading one tune on top of another.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts