1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....the new Dodge Demon is impressive:
0 to 60 in 2.3 seconds (0 to 30 in 1!)
It pulls a wheelie off the line.
9.65 seconds in the quarter at 145 mph.
840 HP and 770 torque on race gas.
2.7 liter supercharger.
Equipped with drag radials (front and rear?) from the factory -- so no traction on the street in anything but the best of conditions.

New owners however will never see a sanctioned drag strip because the NHRA has banned the Demon. It is too fast and must have a full roll cage for the speed and elapsed time it is capable of. Seems a little odd that Dodge went this far just to be able to brag that their new "drag special" is so fast it can't race at the drag strip.
The Demon will never be a corner carver, so I kind of wonder.......why?

·
Premium Member
6,815 Posts
Dodge builds a "drag special" so fast it is banned by the NHRA?

I want to make one into a corner carver. Plus a manual swap.

Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the Demon coming from the factory with line lock (which engages drive AND reverse at the same time to build boost and preloads the drivetrain to avoid driveline shock -- 550 ft/lb at launch!) the manual would be much slower.......just sayin'.......

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A car isnt a car without a Manual....just sayin'....
Yeah......I was a big fan of manual transmissions in my younger years, and owned many of them.......until I drove a 435 HP convertible GT automatic in "S" mode on a curvy road.....or turned off traction control and preloaded the driveline for an effortless burnout.....or tried line lock for an even more effortless burnout.......face it, with the beautifully done programming on automatics, manuals are dying. Sad, but true.
Manuals used to be faster AND get better mpg, but neither of those is true any longer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I believe sticks are on the way out as well... It is fun to shift your own. Well at least we can buy stick cars used, from older muscle cars on up. Hope the Gov. doesn't find some reason to ban them;) Is the Demon all wheel drive?

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
If you're purpose building a drag car, automatic is the way to go, period.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
I don't really care either way. Most likely will never own one. I just like seeing stuff like this come out of Detroit. I'm too young to have been around for the muscle car wars a few decades ago, but to me this is round 2.

With all the environmentally conscious crap being shoved down our throats, it's nice to see rediculous FI v8s coming out of Detroit.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I couldn't care less if it's slower; I still want a manual.
Well then, I guess a 9.65 second STREET car just isn't for you.....LOL......I understand those who still want to shift themselves, as that is a whole different level of involvement with the car. It's just that I've out grown a manual trans, and appreciate a really well programmed slush box.
My Mustang before this one was a '97 Cobra with 3.73 gears......and there was NOTHING like grabbing a handful of second and hazing the tires again all the way through to 3rd.....so I DO understand.

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
OK....the new Dodge Demon is impressive:
0 to 60 in 2.3 seconds (0 to 30 in 1!)
It pulls a wheelie off the line.
9.65 seconds in the quarter at 145 mph.
840 HP and 770 torque on race gas.
2.7 liter supercharger.
Equipped with drag radials (front and rear?) from the factory -- so no traction on the street in anything but the best of conditions.

New owners however will never see a sanctioned drag strip because the NHRA has banned the Demon. It is too fast and must have a full roll cage for the speed and elapsed time it is capable of. Seems a little odd that Dodge went this far just to be able to brag that their new "drag special" is so fast it can't race at the drag strip.
The Demon will never be a corner carver, so I kind of wonder.......why?
Street cred... That's why.
And it will give those guys that buy cars to squirrel away in their garages, hoping that they will be able to retire off of them in thirty years, something to brag about while their investment "profits" get pissed away due to inflation.

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
I couldn't care less if it's slower; I still want a manual.

Pick your poison.
Supercharged cars typically make horrible road race cars... Unless you like dealing with constant overheating problems, that is.
And you would have to undo all of the hard work that Dodge did to the Demon to make it what it is.

Me personally? I would get one just so I could carry the front wheels through the intersections at traffic lights. :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,815 Posts
Well then, I guess a 9.65 second STREET car just isn't for you.....LOL......I understand those who still want to shift themselves, as that is a whole different level of involvement with the car. It's just that I've out grown a manual trans, and appreciate a really well programmed slush box.

My Mustang before this one was a '97 Cobra with 3.73 gears......and there was NOTHING like grabbing a handful of second and hazing the tires again all the way through to 3rd.....so I DO understand.

No, an automatic isn't for me. I don't need a lesson in how an auto is faster; I'm fully aware it is. I'd rather have a manual, period.

Pick your poison.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Supercharged cars typically make horrible road race cars... Unless you like dealing with constant overheating problems, that is.

And you would have to undo all of the hard work that Dodge did to the Demon to make it what it is.

Me personally? I would get one just so I could carry the front wheels through the intersections at traffic lights. :cool:

Challenge accepted.

Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Street cred... That's why.
And it will give those guys that buy cars to squirrel away in their garages, hoping that they will be able to retire off of them in thirty years, something to brag about while their investment "profits" get pissed away due to inflation.
I think most of those guys are like that, but not all of them. I know a couple guys who have done very well for themselves and just love cars. One's collection is up to about 40. He really doesn't care what they're worth or will be worth, he buys what he likes, and drives them when he wants.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
A cage is an easy install.

Who care what the NHRA says; if I owned this car it would likely be a toy and a garage queen that rarely (if ever) sees a track.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts