Mustang Evolution Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Interesting quote from one responsible car tester:

This won’t be a popular stance, and people will be angry and disagree, but here goes: For FCA to build a car like this, one that can be legally driven off the dealer’s lot, is nothing short of irresponsible. It’s an act of desperation by a company whose cars are getting really old. Consider that the Challenger itself is 8 years old, and the platform it rides on is from well into the last century." And, "There’s a reason drag-centric cars such as this from other automakers or specialty equipment manufacturers aren’t given a vehicle identification number: They present a clear and present danger to not only their drivers, but to the motoring public.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
That point of view is to be expected. This is nothing new. I can remember when cars had less than 400 hp, in the early 21st century, and there was a 20/20 type news story about how the auto manufacturers were trying to kill all of the teens and young adults.
It may very well be irresponsible to unleash a car like the Demon on the general public, but there are already vehicles on the market which could easily fall into the "irresponsible" category. The Demon just happens to hold the acceleration record for the moment. There is a long list of cars that are powerful enough to cause problems for many drivers... And most aren't anywhere near 800+ horsepower.

As long as Ralph Nader doesn't hear about this car, and write a book, Dodge should be alright.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I don't think it is as dangerous as texting while driving. Why not shut off 99% of phone functions when it's moving. yeah folks in trains/passengers would be on the loosing end but the overall result would be safer.

on topic it ain't a car I would buy, but would be cool to have.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
The guy can whine all he wants about how dangerous it is but chances are he will never see one on the street.
True. In 5 years, we will start to see these on the Barrett-Jackson type auctions going for well over a hundred K.

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
I don't think it is as dangerous as texting while driving. Why not shut off 99% of phone functions when it's moving. yeah folks in trains/passengers would be on the loosing end but the overall result would be safer.

on topic it ain't a car I would buy, but would be cool to have.
Pokémon Go does this lol. Not even kidding. My wife hates it because I always drive and when it detects you going about 20mph or over it shuts down ability to get the stops and no pokemon appear.

I'd be totally on board with only GPS and actual voice phone working at speed. I mean ppl would just turn off GPS but phone makers could also disable the ability to do that... There are always going to be ppl who root/jailbreak obviously but more and more ppl who did/do that don't do it anymore. I don't since the biggest reason to do it (ad blocker) is available without root now for $7 a year.

Anyway... back to the Demon... yeah going to wind up like most Ford GTs. Garaged by rich ppl.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Looks like the MSRP is $86,090.
The Demon crate costs $1, along with every other option, or delete, depending upon how you want to look at it.

I guess the next question is, can they be bought for the MSRP price?
We find out this Fall, when they arrive on the showroom floors at the dealerships.

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
Probably have all the allotments already sold to rich ppl. That's what happened with the Ford GT at least around here. Dealer in Delaware near where I was living at won the lottery to get one and it was sold THAT DAY to someone. Only thing the guy had to do is let the dealer have it in the showroom for a month (roped off) for them do display it.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I have two in front of me at the one Dodge dealer I contacted. Not looking good for me at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I have two in front of me at the one Dodge dealer I contacted. Not looking good for me at this point.
How thick is your wallet? My bet is that the secondary market will be littered with Demons that only have the miles to drive it home on them.....but the seller will be looking to make a quick $25,000 on top of what he paid. I'd do the same if I could get one.....

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
Won't stop the secondhand market from jacking the prices tho. Like Guard 5.0 said, going to have a good amount that got bought from the dealers, have the mileage it takes to drive them onto a flatbed for delivery and that's it.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Won't stop the secondhand market from jacking the prices tho. Like Guard 5.0 said, going to have a good amount that got bought from the dealers, have the mileage it takes to drive them onto a flatbed for delivery and that's it.
Once you own it, you are free to do what you wish. I would love to have one. If someone offered between $225k and $250k I would consider selling it.

Then again, if I had $100k to spend on a collector's item / toy doubling my profit would not be enough to entice me to sell. I normally only spend money on things that are an investment or will not be sold.

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
I still just want a real nice low mileage garage queen white with blue stripe 07-09 GT500. I know not the fastest or the best or whatever, I just like em. And they are getting cheap.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I was watching a Ferretti video recently, and Rob seems to think that the secondary market is weakening. Many investors who purchased cars in an attempt to make a few bucks on the secondary market are now trying to sell the cars around sticker price.
He uses the Porsche GT3 RS as an example. Most of the 2017 inventory was bought up by investors, who were asking $100k-$150k above the MSRP. Those cars can now be bought for close to the original sticker price.
A lot of people bought Hellcats, under the assumption that Dodge was going to only build a limited number of them. The fact that Dodge is still producing them will likely make some of the folks who are considering purchasing a Demon strictly as an investment, to take a hard second look at their investment strategy.

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
Cars as an investment... Lol. Classics really and the more boomers start dying off the less they may start selling for. A lot of what is driving those huge numbers is just a bunch of rich old dudes who want the cars they couldn't get as kids.

Ford GT is holding value and that's basically it right now...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Cars as an investment... Lol. Classics really and the more boomers start dying off the less they may start selling for. A lot of what is driving those huge numbers is just a bunch of rich old dudes who want the cars they couldn't get as kids.

Ford GT is holding value and that's basically it right now...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
The Demon and Viper will hold their value. In 20 years the Demon will be worth a bit more. I am certain that many will be crashed.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Investment cars: what you need to do is buy at the low end of popular cars. I'll suggest riced out Civics. In 30 yrs when kids who can't afford them today have disposable income then you'll have something. An added benefit will be 4 cyl engines so if gas is $25 per gallon you can still take them out.

I'm not sure if I'm kidding or not in that post...I think not.

^^^That and base model 2012 V6 Mustangs Buy now it'll be worth mucho money in the future. PM me for details :)

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
1999 Civic SI, find one bone stock in great shape if possible and garage it lol. Some 60 year old millennial in 2040 will be bidding 6 figures at Barret-Jackson if they even exist.

Actually... watch interviews that Velocity does with the actual Barret/Jackson family members... there is one dude with a greased back mullet or whatever that just gives off the BIGGEST skeever vibes...

81 - 100 of 103 Posts