Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a broke 17 year old with a 1987 gt. Should I really be spending the extra to get premium? It is totally stock and isn't raced.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I wouldn't spend the money. No need for It unless you are modded and tuned for it. Just make sure you are getting gas from quality places. Gas from Bob's discount filling station is usually a bad idea. Stick to places like Chevron, Shell and BP etc.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The only change premium gas makes in a vehicle tuned for regular is it decreases your wallet's fuel mileage. I get a little chuckle when I see cars for sale and people advertise "ONLY USED PREMIUM FUEL!!!"

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
With a tune there is a difference. No clue w/o a tune

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
With a push rod motor a tune is not a huge deal as you can crank up the timing the old fashioned way with the dizzy to 14* and wake that beast up with some 93

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
I wouldn't spend the money. No need for It unless you are modded and tuned for it. Just make sure you are getting gas from quality places. Gas from Bob's discount filling station is usually a bad idea. Stick to places like Chevron, Shell and BP etc.
With a push rod motor a tune is not a huge deal as you can crank up the timing the old fashioned way with the dizzy to 14* and wake that beast up with some 93
^This is what suggest.

It may not increase horsepower, etc. but using good gas with the cleaners, etc. will help keep your fuel system in top shape. Have higher octane gas also will lessen the likelihood of knock/ping when you advance the timing.:good:

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you have a high compression car then typically you are required to run premium in order to avoid detonation. Octane has to deal with how much the fuel can be compressed be for it detonates. Your dash should tell you if you need it, usually it says "use premium unleaded fuel only" if that's the case. If your engine has been modded, ie forced induction, block work or aggressive tune may require you to use it. If you don't need to run premium I don't see the point in why you would.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rosco said:
If you have a high compression car then typically you are required to run premium in order to avoid detonation. Octane has to deal with how much the fuel can be compressed be for it detonates. Your dash should tell you if you need it, usually it says "use premium unleaded fuel only" if that's the case. If your engine has been modded, ie forced induction, block work or aggressive tune may require you to use it. If you don't need to run premium I don't see the point in why you would.
Yeah mine is bone stock and say to use unleaded fuel only. Nothing about premium.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts