Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to make a move from 3.73s to 4.10s. The shop I contacted about doing want $795.00 just for the install! I thought a gear install ran $300ish? They also want $2798.00 to put a set of mutha thumpr cams in my gt. do these prices seem fair? They seem rather high to me...

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
seems high to me...are there other shops you'd drive to that you can call and get quotes.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
OP,

Prices vary depending on your area and the quality of the shop. For gears, I probably wouldn't spend more than 450-500 IMO. This labor shouldn't be nearly as hard to find as having the cams installed.

For the camshafts, labor goes roughly $100 an hour and the cams can take 15hrs if someone is really taking their time. So, I'd try another shop if you can and look for a price that's closer to $1500. Again, there may not be another shop in your area that will do it, either.

Hope this helps some!

Shane

·
Registered
421 Posts
So I want to make a move from 3.73s to 4.10s. The shop I contacted about doing want $795.00 just for the install! I thought a gear install ran $300ish? They also want $2798.00 to put a set of mutha thumpr cams in my gt. do these prices seem fair? They seem rather high to me...
Holy crap that's high are they including the gears too, free car wash and a full tank of gas lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol well the company is well known! And widely used! Kurgan motorsports is within an hour of me. I've heard he's one of the best. Any comments on that?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well if they do good work and like Shane said depending on your area you may not have a choice. I just was shocked ford said they will throw my gears in for me for 300.00.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
gears can run that much (should not but can) you can look around for 300 ish for labor.... but pay more for a quality job vs having to buy new gears and doing it again if they are not done right.

what are you expecting from 3.73 to 4.10 as it wont be much

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
I've heard of people paying 500 installed w/o gears. So they provide the gears and install them all for around 500. But everyone else is right, it does depend on your area.

·
Registered
916 Posts
That seems pretty high. But as stated it might just be your area. Look around some more and see what shop is cheapest and there quality of work.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
First I hope you didn't by those cams yet and Second gears should be less then 500 installed, my was 250 but the specializes in mustangs

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Why not the cams?
Get brenspeed Detroit rocker cams, they make around 25-35 rwhp depending on supporting mods, most guys with mutha thumpa picks up only 10-20hp (20 is on the lucky side btw)

·
Registered
186 Posts
The gears are kind of close to what most guys charge. As far as the cams go that is crazy! Michell labor labor time I recall is 7 to 8 hours which at a $100 per hour is $700 to $800 give or take $20 per hour and the cams are around $700 to $800 so I would say that you are getting hosed for the cam job. You should go with Brenseed Detroit rockers though, more power and sound. I say make friends with a decent mechanic and do the cams yourself. ;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I live 30 minutes from Atlanta. Know anyone?
Batlground motor sports are the best all around car shop. They do everything you can think of, just look at there website. Also their reasonable. I was quoted $514 to install my cams but I couldn't wait for them to come back from sema due to moving to va(army sucks sometimes). They are located nw part of Atlanta. They would be your best bet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts