Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting the BAMA tune, not sure which one as I want more low end torque but overall more power cause right now my 3.7 under 3k rpm is pretty much worthless. Heard the hybrid tune is pretty good but not wanting to kill mpg's as that was the purpose of getting a 3.7 and not the 5.0. Now I know it won't help if I put my foot in it (which i probably will lol). Are there any good 87 tunes or is 93 the way to go? Trying to justify the 30-40 extra a month in gas but if 93 maybe gets an extra 2-3mpg it could almost balance out.

Also since the 2011+ V6's have a factory CAI would getting an aftermarket one for 300 really help? I mean if it's only 2-3hp then im going to skip on it and just throw in a K&N and a tune.

Any help here would be much appreciated guys!:headbang:

·
Registered
723 Posts
I haven't done enough data analysis to say yea or nay. Almost as soon as I switched over to the 93 Hybrid tune, my wife's car bit it, and I had to let her drive the Mustang since our 3rd car is a stick, and she can't drive a stick...nor would I want to pay for the damage.

As far as MPG increase with a tune is concerned, I haven't noticed it on the 87, but I drive it harder as a result, and I also changed out the gears before I got the tune.

I think you could talk to BAMA, and they could write you something that is a bit more fuel efficient, but I don't believe all the hype of "greater performance AND fuel economy!" Let's be realistic, the performance comes at the expense of fuel economy. If there were some magic button that did it all, don't you think Ford would've programmed it as such so as to boast against the Camaro and Challenger numbers?

The reality is that Ford programs the car stock to give you a nice dose of power and as much safe fuel economy as you can get over a wide band of climates.

I'd say get the tune if you want the performance increase because I can definitely vouch for that :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
I have an SCT chip in my car with multiple tunes. And all the tunes seem to better on MPG then w/o the chip. My car is 95 5.0L GT. I know yours is way newer.

·
Registered
709 Posts
idk i drive the car way too hard since i got my tune to tell. also cant remember since its been tuned for like 2 years. either way if your worried about money stick with 87. the biggest bump in performance is no tune to tune, not really 87-93

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
A tune will not give you better mpg's... But it can give you better performance without sacrificing your mpg... The only way to get better mpg is through things like CAI, exhaust, etc... And mostly to keep your foot out of the gas!.. But we all drive Mustangs so that last one probably isn't realistic!!... Lol

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Eturner said:
A tune will not give you better mpg's... But it can give you better performance without sacrificing your mpg... The only way to get better mpg is through things like CAI, exhaust, etc... And mostly to keep your foot out of the gas!.. But we all drive Mustangs so that last one probably isn't realistic!!... Lol
I can say for certain my MPG went up by 4-5 on the highway after installing my chip

·
Registered
595 Posts
It also depends on how aggressive the "tune" is. The more agressive the tune, the lower your MPGs will be. You can tune a car for all sorts of things including MPGs, HP, Torque or somewhere in between. As Spector said above, it really depends on your mods coupled with what you want to get out of the car.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
deadsp0t said:
I can say for certain my MPG went up by 4-5 on the highway after installing my chip
Then your one in a million!... Mine stayed the same... Performance jumped up!.. But the mpg stayed the same... And my tune was my first mod... Then came the CAI and exhaust and some other things!....

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Eturner said:
Then your one in a million!... Mine stayed the same... Performance jumped up!.. But the mpg stayed the same... And my tune was my first mod... Then came the CAI and exhaust and some other things!....
I have CAI, and full exhaust minus headers and MSD ignition

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So all y'all with the CAI did you notice a big difference between ur mpg and performance before and after? If the factory intake is a CAI I don't see how much more it could help for almost $300 to add a cone filter and a heat shield with a slightly dif inlet. I mean why not drop a K&N and keep the housing for a 7th of the cost? The older mustangs I see why you would but the 11' and up I don't but again I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
deadsp0t said:
I have CAI, and full exhaust minus headers and MSD ignition
My point being!.. That I did my tune first and had zero or right next to zero improvements on my mpg!.. So just doing a tune alone you will not notice a real improvement from your mpg!.. After I added my exhaust and CAI I did notice an increase in mpg!.. A tune does nothing more than maximize you air fuel mixture!.. If you want to increase your mpg then you need to do things that frees up the power your engine is making!.. Such as CAI, exhaust, pulleys, etc.....

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Doing mods to your engine to make it work less... Will increase your mpg's!.... The less work it has to do the less fuel it will burn!...

·
Registered
723 Posts
2012Stang4Me said:
So all y'all with the CAI did you notice a big difference between ur mpg and performance before and after? If the factory intake is a CAI I don't see how much more it could help for almost $300 to add a cone filter and a heat shield with a slightly dif inlet. I mean why not drop a K&N and keep the housing for a 7th of the cost? The older mustangs I see why you would but the 11' and up I don't but again I'm not an expert.
Haven't dyno'ed her, but I didn't notice a huge power improvement with the CAI after the tune, but it sounds soooo good. And it looks great under the hood. HP gains or not, it's a palpable improvement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts