Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my gaskets and well two bolts left... Wouldn't go in straight. Tried new bolts and still same outcome. Gonna try shop guys and see if they have better luck. Anyone have any issues such as this one? I have the bbk tuned length shorties.
If so I was wondering if heads have to be pulled out or if you can get a angle drive in there at all? I'm pretty much freaking out. Haven't got to drive her for 3 weeks now.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I used copper coat on both sides of my gaskets ... Rethreaded the factory studs and I have has zero issues and I bought used hooker long tubes at that...

Knock on wood

·
Banned
510 Posts
I replaced my gaskets and well two bolts left... Wouldn't go in straight. Tried new bolts and still same outcome. Gonna try shop guys and see if they have better luck. Anyone have any issues such as this one? I have the bbk tuned length shorties.
If so I was wondering if heads have to be pulled out or if you can get a angle drive in there at all? I'm pretty much freaking out. Haven't got to drive her for 3 weeks now.
Sooooooooo you haven't driven your mustang for three weeks because you're having a problem installing shorty headers????? Lmao sorry for your luck man but that's hilarious. We installed longtubes on my car in 6 hours. That included making a video of starting it up without the exhaust hooked up. Take it to a professional.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
You need to start each bolt a couple turns in before actually tightening any of them.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Gives new meaning to 'Dude, where's my car?'

It's still stuck in your garage cause of a few bolts.

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

You need to start each bolt a couple turns in before actually tightening any of them.
+1
This practice should be done with everything that requires more than one bolt

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Sounds like someone's cross threaded some bolts. If so, your gona have to pull the headers back out and chase the threads with a tap. That's the reason I wouldn't let anyone else touch my car. It took me 10hrs by my self and 0 issues. You have to use a wrench on a couple bolts, that's after you've started them all a few turns by hand. If you can't start them all by hand, back up, don't go any further till you can. It takes a lot of patience to do it rite. If you don't have time to do it rite, where are you gona find time to do it over.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the BBK long tubes and I had the same issue with 1 bolt on the right back of the header. Simple fix, just use a die grinder and elongate the bolt hole, it's only a minor adjustment and will not leak.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Do you have to drop the k member to install long tubes on these body styles or can you get to them with just a lift?
You don't have to drop the k member to install the headers. Just a lift

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
taylor98gt said:
Do you have to drop the k member to install long tubes on these body styles or can you get to them with just a lift?
No, you have to remove the motor mounts and lift the engine.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Yes you remove motor mounts an lift motor
And starter
Battery and battery housing
Steering shaft
Amongst many other aggravating things

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I love our body style, interior, handling, color choices....

I don't not like the motor,remote mount tranny, sound of the motor, the fact it's not 5.0

Your 98.... I love everything about your year... As long as it is a 4v ... If not sell it get a newer one

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts