Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to have the car in drive and just floor it, or is it better to manually shift form first to second to third to fourth

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
It responds better if you just leave it in drive..but I still love popping it from drive to second to chirp the tires between gears

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
wouldnt taking it from drive to 2nd end up hurting the tranny in the long run since your foot is still on the gas?

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I let off the gas, but yes, i'm sure it's screwing up my tranny doing that.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
leave it in drive. the only reason to put it in 2 or 1 is if you're towing something or going up or down a steep grade.

whatever you do. do NOT put it in neutral and then pop it in drive. neutral drops will drop your tranny.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I did that whole neutral drop thing in my old car...it didn't last very long...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Rellik said:
Just let the computer do it... but take off the overdrive!
overdrive doesnt matter. it's not like if you take it off, the first 3 gears change length. and you sure don't want to be in 3rd gear at 90mph.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
They'll do 105 in 3rd...lol

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
a higher mph in a given gear is not something to be braging about if you are talking about acceleration.

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
Monkey said:
overdrive doesnt matter. it's not like if you take it off, the first 3 gears change length. and you sure don't want to be in 3rd gear at 90mph.
my 1/4 mile passes never went into fourth gear... ran 91 mph both times with my 4.10s on the juice

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
its okay while dragging at the track, but if you go over 90mph then i would put it in 4th. you dont want to turn off OD on a highway race. you'll wear out 3rd gear.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Yeh, it was on a highway race...I don't do it very often..don't go over 80 very often, trying to keep my car in one piece. I go easy on her most of the time

·
Registered
69 Posts
i love racing with my auto, since the gears and sct tune it will chirp without changing it manually. As a matter of fact when i do try to change it myself it feels like to much wear on the trans

·
Registered
47 Posts
when the computer shifts it shifts at 5500 red line i manualy shift my about at 6200 rpm (moved the rev limiter up a bit). the benifit is more hp developed out of that gear by keeping in the power ban longer. With my supercharger that etra few rpms has a dramatic effect on boost. i can computer shift and get 11 lbs boost...manual shift and get 14 lbs. also on a aode trans 4th gear or overdrive is a varation of the torque converter not being locked up all the way. its not really a gear. Auto use clutch in a drum pack. 1st gear ...2nd ....3rd.... then od then lock up in final drive. its like having 5 gears. i race with od off and hit 100.53 mph @ 13.7 and my trans is fine. This is my work car too. shift it and have some fun.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I usually only push the brakes in then give it gas till right before tires spin, hold it there, wait for 3rd light and floor it. Start in drive everytime then I shift down to second then back up to drive and let compy handle the rest....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts