Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting some drag radials and just 2 rims for the rear to switch out at the track. What is the biggest/widest tire/rim size I could put on a 2013 GT? Or can someone recommend the best size for the most traction? I've drag raced a few times but could never do well on the stock Pirrelis. (yes even launching around 1500-1800) Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
9,537 Posts
Looking at getting some drag radials and just 2 rims for the rear to switch out at the track. What is the biggest/widest tire/rim size I could put on a 2013 GT? Or can someone recommend the best size for the most traction? I've drag raced a few times but could never do well on the stock Pirrelis. (yes even launching around 1500-1800) Thanks for any help.
Mickey Thompson drag radial.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Wider doesn't mean better. a 15x10 wheel with a 28" tire works well. Is this for the track or the street? Are you a manual or an auto? What are your goals? You need to provide more information.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Manual. Im gona put steeda chromoly LCAs on the rear and not looking at doing any other suspension mods. Thanks.

·
Tech Expert
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort
3,060 Posts
Gear matters too. hard to recommend when you don't provide complete info.

However, with a manual, don't waste your time with drag radials. Get a real bias slick. Height needed is dependent on rear gear and intentions. Width is as much as you can stuff on the rims without mishaping the tire. 8" is max without mods to swaybar mounts so, that limits you to a 10-ish inch tread width max.

I've used both DRs (BFG) and Bias ETs. Bias is way easier to heat up and get to hook on a stick car. DRs require a heavy burnout to heat up and if you break traction, they don't come back.

I'm going full drag slick this time. Hoosier b/c it's the widest tire I can shove on my 8" rim and comes in my weird 16" size.

·
Premium Member
19,573 Posts
El Fufi said:
Does anybody have an idea how the MT drag radials handle on wet streets?
Not well at all...

·
Tech Expert
3,060 Posts
Does anybody have an idea how the MT drag radials handle on wet streets?
Real bad...My friend's 5.0 got turned into a banana when he got T-boned by a bread truck coming home from the track on DRs. Sudden shower, sudden tendency to loop on the freeway, ka-boom!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Real bad...My friend's 5.0 got turned into a banana when he got T-boned by a bread truck coming home from the track on DRs. Sudden shower, sudden tendency to loop on the freeway, ka-boom!
He got Tboned bcause he started to spin and got hit?

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

How about the nittos nt05? Any bettet on wet pavement?

·
Tech Expert
3,060 Posts
He got Tboned bcause he started to spin and got hit?

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

How about the nittos nt05? Any bettet on wet pavement?
He hydro'd on the water, spun around, ended up crossways in the lanes and ka-pow, got hit by the truck. Road tires? Never would have happened. This is why I transport my drag tires/wheels to the track and install them there. 20 minutes well spent.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can try M&H cheater slicks if your running 15's, they do ok wet but not for shooting out in front of ppl. They heat up nice and a real sticky grip down the track and are legal in most states on street

·
Registered
105 Posts
I want a DR that I can use all the time. Wet and dry. I live in the tropics so no winter season.

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

But the only acceptable 15" to go around the street are the weld racing since they have front wheels other than skinnies over 17". They are expensive though.

·
Premium Member
19,573 Posts
El Fufi said:
I want a DR that I can use all the time. Wet and dry. I live in the tropics so no winter season.

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

But the only acceptable 15" to go around the street are the weld racing since they have front wheels other than skinnies over 17". They are expensive though.
Its not recommended to run any drag radial in daily conditions. Along with wet driving dangers you'll be lucky to get 2k miles out of a set.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I ran 555r 305/35r18 last year and got about 7000 miles with alot of track passes with lots of burn outs but I ran them bald almost. Did great in the rain. I'm buying another set for the street and buying slicks for the track. The nittos got me to an 8 flat in the eighth mile while other 5.0's with the same mods couldn't go lower than 8.6.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts