Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, done some searching but still a little confused. Here is scenario and some Q&A if anyone can help fill in blanks. These will JUST be for when I get to track. Not even for getting to it.

I have a 2013 Mustang GT I am running 20" AMR wheels on 255 35 20 tires all around. Sportline springs with Eibach prodamper shocks and struts.

1. Do I need swaybar relocation brackets for 15" wheels or ONLY when they are 10" Wide?
2. Will 17" eliminate the need to relocate sway bar or does that depend on width also
3. I am 26.5" from ground to top of tire in rear now. I am 27.25" to start of wheel well.
4. I have been told by multiple people to run a 28" fine but this doesn't make sense to me based on measurements. Am I missing something?
5. Good site or math explanation for how to determine what to order please?
6. Will 8.5 still be ok when I get Vortech or will I really want 10" wide then?

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
The only wheel that will require a sway bar relocation bracket is a 15x10 wheel. But that is the best size to go with so don't let the swar bar relocation brackets steer you.

A 28" tire is really what you want or very close to. Your measurements really have no bearing on this.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only wheel that will require a sway bar relocation bracket is a 15x10 wheel. But that is the best size to go with so don't let the swar bar relocation brackets steer you.

A 28" tire is really what you want or very close to. Your measurements really have no bearing on this.
Ya I looked into the relocation and that doesn't seem like a big deal really. I am still completely confused on the tire though. I haven't taken geometry in years, lol. But if I add 1.5" to my overall diameter it will essentially add 3/4" to the radius. With only 3/4" difference between top of current wheel and well wont I be basically but up against it and with 10" probably start rubbing paint off the well?

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
You're way overthinking this. Your current setup is 27" tall which is shorter than stock. Regardless you shouldn't have any fitment issues unless you go with the wrong back spacing.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
You are way overthinking this...many have been down this road before.

Now, it does depend on what you want to run out back. You don't need a 10" wheel to fit a slick. Slicks are more forgiving of wheel width mismatches than a radial is. An 8" wheel can still easily take a 10" wide slick without problems.

You need a 28" tire only if you are running 3.73 out back and a stick. 26-ish tires will force a shift to 5th before the stripe, if your rev limit is stock.

There's plenty of room in the wheel arch for tires around this height and width, if the backspacing is correct. The fenders are pre-rolled from the factory.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, alright, lol. I tend to overthink often so I will completely believe you guys. Thanks you. I am stock gears but believe the rev limiter is off with tune. I know at track before I get to about 7200 before shift. 2 15x10 Dark Stars 2 28" MT streets and a sway relocation kit are going on the build list.

That is why I love this forum. You guys are great thank you.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
If it's just a drag tire setup I'd go full drag slick, not a compromise like the streets....

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Exactly. Because you're a manual you'll want a slick unless you plan on using it on the street.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True, I was thinking street/strip but I will never really use it to drive there. Can just change out at track. I am looking at new tires in next 6 months for street and need stickier there too. Problem is I love to look of the 20"'s but they grip like crap

·
Registered
575 Posts
Look at the SVE drag wheels before you buy dark stars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The sve are great especially with stock style lug nuts. Shanks can be a pain to install

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not know much about SVE so I will check them out. Just want a black wheel that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. I am only planning on getting the two for rear and keeping my DD front wheels on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah sometimes they go on sale. I believe the black 15x10 are like 159 or 169 each. Latemodelrestoration.com sells them

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I drive 30 miles each way to the track on full race Hoosier slicks. I don't even air them up.

In fact, last year when I blew a regular tire, I drove on those same slicks in the snow for a week until the replacement tires came in.

So, I'd say you shouldn't compromise, definitely. Street/strip means they won't work on either.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Here are my SVE wheels. 15x10

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
really appreciate everyones help. Tired of not hooking up. Slicks on 15x10 it is!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey sorry im new to this lmao, i just reached out to Forgestar for a drag set up and was told in order to run a 15x10 in the rear of my 2013 Gt i need a 15” brake conversion? Didnt really make sense to me as on all forums ive seen everyone says you just need the sway bar relocation kit but nothing about the brakes, my cars a track pack so i have brembos up front and small brakes in the back.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
hey sorry im new to this lmao, i just reached out to Forgestar for a drag set up and was told in order to run a 15x10 in the rear of my 2013 Gt i need a 15” brake conversion? Didnt really make sense to me as on all forums ive seen everyone says you just need the sway bar relocation kit but nothing about the brakes, my cars a track pack so i have brembos up front and small brakes in the back.
Don't listen to Forgestar.

Reactions: crjackson2134
1 - 19 of 19 Posts