Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to pick this up along with an exhaust tonite.... I do not have an extensive tool collection, nor experience. How difficult is the installation? Really only looking to do mods I can handle myself, will build my way up to the harder ones. This is a make or break question for me on this particular purchase. Any help here is appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
That has nothing to do with the driveshaft...
I guess I misunderstood it ... I thought pinion angles were a concern with one piece drive shaft installations? However, I have no idea what any of this means ... which is why I decided that this was not something I was going to do myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,045 Posts
mmike87 said:
I guess I misunderstood it ... I thought pinion angles were a concern with one piece drive shaft installations? However, I have no idea what any of this means ... which is why I decided that this was not something I was going to do myself.
I mean, it's of concern, but the driveshaft shouldn't have a big impact. Lowering the car is what causes the pinion angle to change, and its adjusted with an adjustable upper control arm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
I did mine with the rear up on jack stands in my garage. Wasn't hard at all. Take out some bolts, swap shafts, put bolts back in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,045 Posts
SolidRRaxle said:
Napoleon, have you done this mod before? Trying to do it with just a set of ramps.
No, but it should be relatively easy. I would install a driveshaft loop while I was down there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I picked up the BMR loop. Figure if I acrew it up, should have something there to catch it so it doesn't hit the pavement at 60 mpg and rip off my axle

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Black5.0 said:
I did mine with the rear up on jack stands in my garage. Wasn't hard at all. Take out some bolts, swap shafts, put bolts back in.
Nice, that is exactly what I was hoping it would be.... I should've waited to purchase but I'm like a little kid with this stuff. Purchased it about an hour or so after I posted this thread
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
So, then I am to understand that there really ISN'T more to it than simply bolting in a new drive shaft? If so, that's something I am quite happy to have misunderstood. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,045 Posts
mmike87 said:
So, then I am to understand that there really ISN'T more to it than simply bolting in a new drive shaft? If so, that's something I am quite happy to have misunderstood. :)
I don't think so...
 

·
The Blue Dragon
Joined
·
5,661 Posts
such a great mod too from everything I hear, too bad it's something we need to do ourselves though, I think at the very least it should have had a one piece from factory... and if they're so worried about MPG's it would've benefitted to have aluminum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
such a great mod too from everything I hear, too bad it's something we need to do ourselves though, I think at the very least it should have had a one piece from factory... and if they're so worried about MPG's it would've benefitted to have aluminum
I agree a one piece would have been nice to have come from the factory. Beings at 11,240 miles I twisted the factory two piece one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,045 Posts
I agree a one piece would have been nice to have come from the factory. Beings at 11,240 miles I twisted the factory two piece one.
Holy smokes ... what kind of power were you putting down to do that? I agree though, the two-piece shaft is garbage. I hate how it's always clanking when you engage the clutch from load... if I had a dollar for every time I had to explain what that noise was ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
Napoleon85 said:
I agree though, the two-piece shaft is garbage. I hate how it's always clanking when you engage the clutch from load... if I had a dollar for every time I had to explain what that noise was ...
+1, lol. Same here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
So, then I am to understand that there really ISN'T more to it than simply bolting in a new drive shaft? If so, that's something I am quite happy to have misunderstood. :)
While I haven't messed with the Mustang's driveshaft, I have removed & installed the one on the project car so many times I've lost count. Every time on jackstands. It's a pretty simple part. I'm sure once you get under there it will be obvious how easy it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Napoleon85 said:
Holy smokes ... what kind of power were you putting down to do that? I agree though, the two-piece shaft is garbage. I hate how it's always clanking when you engage the clutch from load... if I had a dollar for every time I had to explain what that noise was ...
No more power than ford put in the car.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top