Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Well, that depends on what your goals and expectations are............is there something wrong with your current driveshaft?
I would expect, that with a significantly lighter driveshaft, you would notice a difference in the "flywheel effect" as to how the engine drives.
It does look like the driveshaft for your year costs about 1/2 of what the newer ones cost....so why not go ahead, right?

·
Super Moderator
17,861 Posts
I paid $165 shipped for my FRPP shaft in 2002... Ugh, yeah its doubled. Its something that should be one of the last things you do.

Just make sure you you do get one you get the 31 spline unit. Would not be the first person who got the tailshaft and rearend spline count confused. T45s and 3650s have 31 spline outputs which is one less thing to upgrade when/if you get one built.

·
Super Moderator
17,861 Posts
It may not be the driveshaft. Do the vibes happen if you gun the motor sitting still in neutral? Are the vibes RPM or speed dependent?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
My first thought is "Wow! Aluminum driveshafts have gotten expensive!"
Anything aluminum has gone up in price. Try pricing a 6ft aluminum ladder.

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
Its starting to vibrate

2001GT slow_2V
If you think that the vibration is coming from the drive line, jack the car up and check the four bolts that connect the driveshaft to the rear end. Sometimes they can become loose and cause a vibration. Also check the U-joints for any play.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Also check the transmission mount had bad vibrations in my car mount was shot replaced and all is good now

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,861 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help. I think it might be the trans mount because when I take corner I can feel it move a little. But I might still buy the shaft, I've heard you get good gains from it

2001GT slow_2V

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks for the help. I think it might be the trans mount because when I take corner I can feel it move a little. But I might still buy the shaft, I've heard you get good gains from it

2001GT slow_2V
Yup like 40 HP lol same issues looked at everything it ended up being the trans mount

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Super Moderator
17,861 Posts
2 piece shafts didn't start until 2005. Don't worry about it.

·
Super Moderator
17,861 Posts
No having to worry about pinion angle is nice too. Except its just one more point of failure.

But again, not an issue in 04-down because those were all 1 piece shafts. And I'd say 95% of the bolt on crowd will look at you like you have 3 heads if you ask if they properly set their pinion angle after lowering the car. Although lowering doesn't usually hurt anything and if it does then there are plenty of options.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts