Mustang Evolution Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 2013 v6 auto and I'm looking to see if it has the crappy driveshaft or the good one how can I tell I want to know because I want to install 373 gears and don't wanna do it if I have the crappy one I don't want it to blow

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey guys I have a 2013 v6 auto and I'm looking to see if it has the crappy driveshaft or the good one how can I tell I want to know because I want to install 373 gears and don't wanna do it if I have the crappy one I don't want it to blow
Hi, lots of threads on this. Did you know GTs have had more drive shaft failures then the V6? So far only 3 failures can be found on the internet and 2 of those are not the factory driveshaft.

Look-up complaints on "safeCar" and hundreds of complaints of MT82 transmission problem and only one GT shaft failure. Yet folks with MTs are not asking if they should get a new transmission. These reported failures of the MT82 have caused crashes and injuries, yet no official reported complaints of a DS failure in a V6 yet, just a GT of a guys kid doing burnouts.

I think the "obsession" of one Youtube video of a guy driving 135 with a camcorder in his hand is selling more driveshafts then Joe Biden in selling shotguns. :rolleyes:

Can you give us a picture of your drive shaft?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi, lots of threads on this. Did you know GTs have had more drive shaft failures then the V6? So far only 3 failures can be found on the internet and 2 of those are not the factory driveshaft.

Look-up complaints on "safeCar" and hundreds of complaints of MT82 transmission problem and only one GT shaft failure. Yet folks with MTs are not asking if they should get a new transmission. These reported failures have caused crashes and injuries, yet no official reported complaints of a DS failure in a V6 yet, just a GT of a guys kid doing burnouts.

I think the "obsession" of one Youtube video of a guy driving 135 with a camcorder in his hand is selling more driveshafts then Joe Biden in selling shotguns. :rolleyes:

That sums it up! +1000000! This is my 13 ds.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Look-up complaints on "safeCar" and hundreds of complaints of MT82 transmission problem and only one GT shaft failure. Yet folks with MTs are not asking if they should get a new transmission. These reported failures of the MT82 have caused crashes and injuries, yet no official reported complaints of a DS failure in a V6 yet, just a GT of a guys kid doing burnouts.

I'll jack up the car Tomorow and put a pic up. So would putting in the 373 gears harm the shaft in a way that I have to be worried I know it make the drive shaft spin harder so it works harder than factory gears.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'll jack up the car Tomorow and put a pic up. So would putting in the 373 gears harm the shaft in a way that I have to be worried I know it make the drive shaft spin harder so it works harder than factory gears.
How much torque you going to add beyond stock or will the engine stay stock? How much "abuse" will you be giving it? That will give info to folks that know more than I do to help answer it.

Look up AL shaft failures on GTs. While the new quality AL shafts being put out are great, any shaft can fail and many aftermarket ones have on GTs and 2 V6s so far before they fixed an issue.

Any time you seriously are worried about a shaft stock or aftermarket , safety U-loops are a risk mitigating factor on the track in hi-impact situations.

Are you just planing to street jumping a little at a light way under the speed limit, or are you seriously going to push it hard on the track?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much torque you going to add beyond stock or will the engine stay stock? How much "abuse" will you be giving it? That will give info to folks that know more than I do to help answer it.

Look up AL shaft failures on GTs. While the new quality AL shafts being put out are great, any shaft can fail and many aftermarket ones have on GTs and 2 V6s so far before they fixed an issue.

Any time you seriously are worried about a shaft stock or aftermarket , safety U-loops are a risk mitigating factor on the track in hi-impact situations.

Are you just planing to street jumping a little at a light way under the speed limit, or are you seriously going to push it hard on the track?
I'm not planning on killing the engine but I want that extra power that I know this motor is capable of mostly street driving and maybe track just 1 time after everything is done I plan on doing just bolt ons like axle back exaust cai tune and possibly headers down the road and the 373 gears I just don't want to end up like that video lol that scared the hell out of me lol

·
Registered
737 Posts
Mustangmo said:
You have the same DS as the 2011-2012. Crappy 2-piece steel shaft, weighs 28.2 lbs.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm not planning on killing the engine but I want that extra power that I know this motor is capable of mostly street driving and maybe track just 1 time after everything is done I plan on doing just bolt ons like axle back exaust cai tune and possibly headers down the road and the 373 gears I just don't want to end up like that video lol that scared the hell out of me lol
Yep that video is scaring a bunch of folks :popcorn:

So, how many 2011+ folks do you think have already done what you propose and not had an issue? Remember on the street you wont be doing anything but jump a little under the speed limit, not be doing 135 like the "Perp" in the fail video.

Just a thought and now I will bow out of the discussion and let the pros provide guidance.

Art

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
on American muscle that v6 is doing 11s which is probably a lot faster than I will go but the aluminum ds is still together with no problems at all

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
I myself fell a victim to this driveshaft thing. I just received my one piece aluminum driveshaft today from of course American Muscle along with the 3:73 gears that will be installed this Monday on my 11 V6. I just pulled the trigger on the driveshaft mainly because my understanding its around 30 less pounds of rotational mass which will cause the car to accelerate faster. Plus have the added protection should I be in a legal situation to safely drive at 150 MPH without worrying about the driveshaft. I myself am just doing bolt on mods. Currently running a 91 Hybrid performance tune, CAI, Flowmaster Axle back Force II exhaust system, having the aluminium driveshaft and 3:73 gears installed. Next month I will add BBK headers and off road x pipe. Then done on my mods.

If you have the money, go for the one piece aluminum driveshaft. If nothing else the new aluminum driveshaft will give you better acceleration off the line which is something the 11 plus V6 could use

·
Registered
730 Posts
I myself fell a victim to this driveshaft thing. I just received my one piece aluminum driveshaft today from of course American Muscle along with the 3:73 gears that will be installed this Monday on my 11 V6. I just pulled the trigger on the driveshaft mainly because my understanding its around 30 less pounds of rotational mass which will cause the car to accelerate faster. Plus have the added protection should I be in a legal situation to safely drove at 150 MPH without worrying about the driveshaft. I myself am just doing bolt on mods. Currently running a 91 Hybrid performance tune, CAI, Flowmaster Axle back Force II exhaust system, having the aluminium driveshaft and 3:73 gears installed. Next month I will add BBK headers and off road x pipe. Then done on my mods.

If you have the money, go for the one piece aluminum driveshaft. If nothing else the new aluminum driveshaft will give you better acceleration off the line which is something the 11 plus V6 could use
That's exactly the reason why anyone should replace their ds! 1. Rotational mass reduction, 2 planning on race like conditions.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Charlie_santos said:
Im buying a custom made one for $300..... Have fun spending 700 guys hahaha why dont u just look around town for a shop that makes them.
Where about can you get a custom driveshaft made specifically for your car for 300$? Even if that is true, I would rather pay double the $ for one that comes from a shop that specializes in driveshafts and one that balances the shaft at high RPMs. Also one that has spends hundreds of hours customizing and making the shaft 100% fail-proof.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Where about can you get a custom driveshaft made specifically for your car for 300$? Even if that is true, I would rather pay double the $ for one that comes from a shop that specializes in driveshafts and one that balances the shaft at high RPMs. Also one that has spends hundreds of hours customizing and making the shaft 100% fail-proof.
Lmfao this shop literally only makes driveshafts for full drag cars. My uncle is good friends for the shop and is gna have one made for my car which they usually dont do low HP cars. They make drive shafts that handle 600+ TQ and very high RPM. You may spend ur money and buy your products the way you want sir im just saying u can do that or just find a shop that makes custom drive shafts

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
I know that American Muscle gets their aluminum driveshafts from The Axle Exchange which from my understanding makes excellent driveshafts. To say the driveshaft from American Muscle is better or worse than the driveshaft from the driveshaft shop, I have no clue. I'm sure both company's make a very good quality driveshaft that will hold up to high speeds in excess of 150 plus and give you a noticeable difference in acceleration. I'm just partial to American Muscle because there $hit is on the money and the best customer service. I don't think AM carries crap mustang products. I have the belief of, if American Muscle is selling something then it ain't garbage. Besides I have never read or heard a bad experience of a driveshaft which American Muscle has sold that has exploded. I have spoken with American Muscle and they say the driveshaft they sell is top quality and I for one believe them.

I actually looked at the driveshaft shop web site and according to their site they no longer sell a one piece aluminum driveshaft for the 11-13 v6 mustangs. They have listed the shafts for the 5.0's but none for the V6 model. A member on this forum told me they just recently called Shaftmasters and they no longer make the one piece aluminum driveshaft for the 11-13 v6 mustangs.

Thanks to all you folks on here and the talk of this driveshaft thing my wallet fell victim to buying one. If for no other reason your rotational mass will be greatly cut down and you can pull the car harder and better off the line acceleration. I think AM and others claim you can cut your acceleration down by .2 tenths. Heck, you got 11 plus v6 folks running 5.1 to 5.2 0-60 with no mods, stock tires and 3:31gears. Add a one piece aluminum driveshaft and your down to 4.9 to 5.0 0-60 and you still ain't got a performance tuner, CAI, 3:73 gears,headers and off road x pipe. With those type of mods, one could be at 4.5 to 4.7 0-60. Not too shabby of a little V6 and some bolt on mods .

Get that driveshaft!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know that American Muscle gets their aluminum driveshafts from The Axle Exchange which from my understanding makes excellent driveshafts. To say the driveshaft from American Muscle is better or worse than the driveshaft from the driveshaft shop, I have no clue. I'm sure both company's make a very good quality driveshaft that will hold up to high speeds in excess of 150 plus and give you a noticeable difference in acceleration. I'm just partial to American Muscle because there $hit is on the money and the best customer service. I don't think AM carries crap mustang products. I have the belief of, if American Muscle is selling something then it ain't garbage. Besides I have never read or heard a bad experience of a driveshaft which American Muscle has sold that has exploded. I have spoken with American Muscle and they say the driveshaft they sell is top quality and I for one believe them.

I actually looked at the driveshaft shop web site and according to their site they no longer sell a one piece aluminum driveshaft for the 11-13 v6 mustangs. They have listed the shafts for the 5.0's but none for the V6 model. A member on this forum told me they just recently called Shaftmasters and they no longer make the one piece aluminum driveshaft for the 11-13 v6 mustangs.

Thanks to all you folks on here and the talk of this driveshaft thing my wallet fell victim to buying one. If for no other reason your rotational mass will be greatly cut down and you can pull the car harder and better off the line acceleration. I think AM and others claim you can cut your acceleration down by .2 tenths. Heck, you got 11 plus v6 folks running 5.1 to 5.2 0-60 with no mods, stock tires and 3:31gears. Add a one piece aluminum driveshaft and your down to 4.9 to 5.0 0-60 and you still ain't got a performance tuner, CAI, 3:73 gears,headers and off road x pipe. With those type of mods, one could be at 4.5 to 4.7 0-60. Not too shabby of a little V6 and some bolt on mods .

Get that driveshaft!
That would probably be the best option and 4.5-4.7 0-69 would be pretty sweet

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
$300.00 Aluminum driveshaft ??

Charllie_Santos said:
Im buying a custom made one for $300..... Have fun spending 700 guys hahaha why dont u just look around town for a shop that makes them.
He also said:

Lmfao this shop literally only makes driveshafts for full drag cars. My uncle is good friends for the shop and is gna have one made for my car which they usually dont do low HP cars. They make drive shafts that handle 600+ TQ and very high RPM. You may spend ur money and buy your products the way you want sir im just saying u can do that or just find a shop that makes custom drive shafts
Translated that means if you have an Uncle or Father or any other family member or friend that is friends with the shop that builds drive shafts you can have them make you a one off special for a very huge discount price.

Charlie paid $300.00 which means if the shop was to sell them on the open market they would at least be double plus any shipping so about $650.00 to $700.00 or more retail.

It's not everybody that has friends in a business that makes drives shafts so even if you did find someone to make you a one off product you probably would still pay more.

Ronnie:confused:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.