Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here know exactly how much on the 13' v6 auto?

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
There have been some 3.7 V6 owners (and performance parts manufacturers) that have dyno'd their stock 3.7 V6 prior to testing their mods.

Contact any of the larger tuner manufacturers and ask them what the HP at the wheels are for a stock 3.7. Most have an email tech line you can send this question off to.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think for auto its like 23%. So 300 HP - 231 whp. I think that's bout rite.
..................hopes its not true:eek:

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

There have been some 3.7 V6 owners (and performance parts manufacturers) that have dyno'd their stock 3.7 V6 prior to testing their mods.

Contact any of the larger tuner manufacturers and ask them what the HP at the wheels are for a stock 3.7. Most have an email tech line you can send this question off to.
great idea

·
Abominable Mustang
1,926 Posts
The newer autos are a lot more efficient. I've heard that they've gotten it down to a hair under 20% loss on average. I think the manuals are around 15% too. A one piece aluminum driveshaft will free up a small amount of that horsepower too.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what i gathered online, theres too much to take into consideration when calculating hp at wheels. A fixed percentage is not a good way to calculate drivetrain horsepower loss

·
Abominable Mustang
1,926 Posts
From what i gathered online, theres too much to take into consideration when calculating hp at wheels. A fixed percentage is not a good way to calculate drivetrain horsepower loss
This is true. The 20% and 15% that are talked about are averages.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its crazy! 305hp x 20% = 61hps loss
regardless, i was thinking about getting a cai and a bama tune.
how much hp can i regain from these two combo?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Now I know they have more power. They have what a older v8 has. I had an 02 v6 standard. It was rated at 190 hp I think but this 2012 feels alot more brutal as far as power

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just got off the phone with bama tune customer support. the hp at the wheel for a stock 13' v6 auto is 252hp/247 torque. with the tune and cai should add another 20-30hp. it kinda suck to find out its 50hp less than 305hp. just imagine if you can fully utilize the 305hp the car will be much faster......

·
Abominable Mustang
1,926 Posts
Yeah, but sadly there will be a car with 0% drivetrain loss haha.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Hmm, if the loss is because of the shaft and rear end, how about FWD and AWD?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, if the loss is because of the shaft and rear end, how about FWD and AWD?
loss of hp come from alot more places than just shaft n rear end. awd losses more hp

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Those seem to be what most people do to free hp so I was assuming ass+u+me

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Most drivetrain loss for an auto is in the torque convertor. Unless its locked up, the fluid trying to mesh the engine and trans just eats away at the hp. Once it's locked up or you're considering a manual, it's all rotational mass and frictional drag on the rotating parts. Lighter driveshaft, flywheel, wheels, smaller brakes... all get the hp closer to crank. If these vehicles didn't have synthetic fluids to begin with, you could gain a couple hp just switching to synthetic. Pretty wild stuff.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
So these cars are running at peak and its best to stick to what they come with fluid wise? My dad still is stuck in the 90's with this stuff

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
newer cars do much better (compared to back in the day being 20+%)

what RWHP do they put out, just do the math and see where you are at. Then its either you make more HP than advertised or the efficiency is good

the 03/04 cobras lose 17-18% in the drive line and dynos about 360hp average so if you do the math thats much more than 390 at the flywheel ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most drivetrain loss for an auto is in the torque convertor. Unless its locked up, the fluid trying to mesh the engine and trans just eats away at the hp. Once it's locked up or you're considering a manual, it's all rotational mass and frictional drag on the rotating parts. Lighter driveshaft, flywheel, wheels, smaller brakes... all get the hp closer to crank. If these vehicles didn't have synthetic fluids to begin with, you could gain a couple hp just switching to synthetic. Pretty wild stuff.
does the 13' v6 auto have a lockup torque converter?
if not where can i get one, how much more hp can i gain from that?
btw never heard of lockup torque converter for hp, usually tune, cai,driveshaft ...etc

1 - 20 of 31 Posts