Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just had my first experience in the snow with my mustang! All my previous cars were 4x4 or AWD. Overall it wasn't bad in light snow, got stuck in the driveway. The P-zeros seem OK. Does anyone have the conti dws tires? Or just bite the bullet and buy dedicated snows? This is my DD so a second winter car is not an option.

Feel free to share snow driving stories!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If it's your only car, get some dedicated Blizzaks. They should last you 4 years of just running the snow season, then you can retire them. If you can get some factory 17" rims cheap, the tires are only a $500 investment, which works out to $125/year. Very small price for knowing you can control your car and probably cheaper than your insurance deductible.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought stock rims and put snow tires on didn't want salt eating my very expensive rims and wide low profile tires aren't any good on snow being rear wheel drive I put a couple hundred pounds of sandbags in trunk to get weight over the rear tires ( I'm originally from up in freeze land and old enough that in my day except for 4wd trucks there were only rear wheel drive cars plenty experience driving in snow and this way seems to be the best way to get around in snow, but getting stuck is always a possibility no matter what u do )

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking for cheap stock 17s, sounds like its worth the investment. I will put about 8kmi on them each year, so two seasons max?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought my car in md on jan 2 2012. On my trip back to MI, on jan 3rd, I almost slid the car sideways into a toll booth. I have no idea how I got her to straighten out literally at the last possible second. I think I would have smashed it if I slid another foot before straightening out. I have the pp so I have the pirelli summer only tires. There was maybe an inch of snow tops.... Jan 4th, I went to discount tire and bought dedicated snow rims and tires. They didn't have blizzaks in stock so I bought what they had, cooper tires brand. The difference was like night and day. This past December 26th I drove from MI to CT through snowstorm Euclid. I had no problems, the coopers gave me plenty of traction and there where times I was plowing through a good 5 or 6 inches of snow. I highly recommend getting some dedicated snow rims and tires. I got mine all for about 1250. When the coopers have a few more seasons on them, I will upgrade them to blizzaks since they are supposed to be even better.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Btw pony boy, where did you get that lower grille? Do you know if it will fit the 2012?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Definitely get dedicated snow tires. I've driven in canadian winters with my mustangs for 9 years now and it's the only way to go. I highly recommend Cooper weather masted st2 tires.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought my car in md on jan 2 2012. On my trip back to MI, on jan 3rd, I almost slid the car sideways into a toll booth. I have no idea how I got her to straighten out literally at the last possible second. I think I would have smashed it if I slid another foot before straightening out. I have the pp so I have the pirelli summer only tires. There was maybe an inch of snow tops.... Jan 4th, I went to discount tire and bought dedicated snow rims and tires. They didn't have blizzaks in stock so I bought what they had, cooper tires brand. The difference was like night and day. This past December 26th I drove from MI to CT through snowstorm Euclid. I had no problems, the coopers gave me plenty of traction and there where times I was plowing through a good 5 or 6 inches of snow. I highly recommend getting some dedicated snow rims and tires. I got mine all for about 1250. When the coopers have a few more seasons on them, I will upgrade them to blizzaks since they are supposed to be even better.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Btw pony boy, where did you get that lower grille? Do you know if it will fit the 2012?
Wow! Glad to hear your car is safe! Is discount tire a store or online? I was looking at tire rack since most of the winter stock is on sale now.

The grill is factory, part of the MCA package. I don't think it will fit a 12 directly, I think AM sells a kit for them. Actually, your case is why I skipped the PP, plus 19 tires are $$$.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the Conti DWS and love them. Their weak point in snow is take off, but straight rolling and turning are very good. I know dedicated snow tires are better but it helps that I got all 4 on wheels with under 300 miles for under 300 bucks.
That being said, I will probably buy them again for Montana winters.
It probably helps that my car is auto.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i have continental extremes on my stang and i have driven in light snow nothing to heavy and havent gotten stuck just except going up the driveway as you said but by then your car is safe anyways..im kind of having the same problem because i want to get SVE black drift wheels and i am afraid to leave them on for the winter so i would swap back to my stock rims but i have no idea how much shops charge to swap wheels like that and if its worth it

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discount tire is a store. They also do business online. You can buy wheels there for relatively cheap and tires are a fair price. Best bet for wheels is a junk yard, go find a trashed stang or some used steel's that will fit. No worries about rust or anything that way and there cheap to replace if you get into a curb or something like that.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Shops won't charge much too unit your old wheels back on. If you had them on the car previously you can mark where each wheel was previously mounted you can put them back on yourself and they should still be balanced

·
Registered
341 Posts
Shops won't charge much too unit your old wheels back on. If you had them on the car previously you can mark where each wheel was previously mounted you can put them back on yourself and they should still be balanced
id rather just have a shop do it do you know what they charge? in your experience do you think it is necessary to swap the wheels in the winter to make sure the new ones dont get damaged

·
Registered
809 Posts
Well, if you consider that it will cost at least $400 to have your wheels re-painted on anodized when the finish gets ruined... Yea, I would say its worth the investment.

·
Registered
341 Posts
do you know how much it is to swap wheels but keep tires

·
Registered
16 Posts
We are having a pretty light winter so far here in the Detroit area. my 2012 V6 couldn't make it up a not so steep incline the night of the first real snow fall. My stock tires weren't up to the task. I was ready to make the investment in dedicated snow tires but it hasn't snowed much since.

Just yesterday I bought new 19in. wheels and tires from American Muscle (YAY!).
I expect delivery by the end of the week. I am tempted to put them on as soon as I get them but a little bird is telling me to wait until the winter is fully done. So my problem is: 'do I go ahead and dump the stock 17in. tires currently on my car for dedicated snow tires in case of another big snowfall or not?' I just laid out nearly 18 hundred for my new AM wheels/tires so there ain't much scratch left for snow tires. And as much as I am excited to have the new set on I don't want to get them wrecked in the salt and snow.

I'm hoping it won't snow much again this winter! That would be a big help! Good luck with that in Michigan though!

·
Registered
341 Posts
if i was you i would wait so you dont damage the wheels it would be unfortunate to spend all that money if you damaged them

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yup. Thanks Mustang17. I think I just needed to hear it from someone else! I'm gonna have to be strong and not even unpack them when they arrive! Well...just ONE!

Now if i can just avoid swapping out my OEM tires for winter treads I'm in good shape.

·
Registered
341 Posts
im in the same boat i am going to be swapping back to stock rims when winter comes because i dont want to damage my rims since i will be paying 600 for them you know what i mean

1 - 20 of 30 Posts