Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have stock springs on my 03 V6 and i want to drop it without having to buy new springs. how much should i cut off the stock ones? and will it make the car ride bumpy after?

·
Banned
2,785 Posts
i have stock springs on my 03 V6 and i want to drop it without having to buy new springs. how much should i cut off the stock ones? and will it make the car ride bumpy after?
I realize you said you don't want to buy springs, but... you could go to a junk yard.or look on Craigslist some stock springs and cut those, that way you still have good springs if the car rides funky or it doesn't work out

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
93mstnglx said:
I realize you said you don't want to buy springs, but... you could go to a junk yard.or look on Craigslist some stock springs and cut those, that way you still have good springs if the car rides funky or it doesn't work out
Craigslist ++1
Best place to look for stuff. Found my first mustang there than found my Mach 1 there couple years later :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm thats a good idea. thanks!

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Cut 1.25 coils off the front and one coil off the back. Best drop imo for our cars

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Will drop around 1" if you leave the isolates on the springs

I have a stock set if you want them lol just pulled them off my car not too long ago

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Sending Pm

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Metal Cutting wheel on a grinder is what I used, worked great

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Looks good to me

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
as long as that wheel is rated for metal or bi-metal...if not grab a new disc and you're golden

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Where the last coil ends cut down exactly below that, that is one coil lol

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I cut the springs on my stang a while ago. Mind you I did this after I had ordered new lowering springs. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. All in all, it is a bad idea. The difference between cut springs and actual lowering springs is night and day. With springs costing only a couple hundred bucks I can safely say it is not worth cutting springs vs buying some. If your going to do something, do it correctly. If you love your Mustang, why neglect it with a ghetto lowering job? Just my 2 cents based on experience...

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I cut the springs on my stang a while ago. Mind you I did this after I had ordered new lowering springs. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. All in all, it is a bad idea. The difference between cut springs and actual lowering springs is night and day. With springs costing only a couple hundred bucks I can safely say it is not worth cutting springs vs buying some. If your going to do something, do it correctly. If you love your Mustang, why neglect it with a ghetto lowering job? Just my 2 cents based on experience...
i disagree with you 100% my friend...something tells me you either A) didn't cut them correctly...or B) had a dead coil from the beginning. I absolutely love cut springs and how they perform :good:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts