Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i got my dual exhaust the other day, the dude that installed it gave me 2 inch tips! I didnt even notice it till i got home. I'm planning on getting 2.25 tips when i get my cats removed. Is there a big difference between 2" and 2.25" pipes either sound or horsepower wise?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
erick said:
When i got my dual exhaust the other day, the dude that installed it gave me 2 inch tips! I didnt even notice it till i got home. I'm planning on getting 2.25 tips when i get my cats removed. Is there a big difference between 2" and 2.25" pipes either sound or horsepower wise?
What size piping did he give you.
You said "2 inch tips"
Is it 2 inch piping throughout your exhaust system?
I really wouldnt worry much. 2" are good. 2.25 is the max I would personally go because anyfurther, (even with 2.25) you will be loosing back pressure. I really havent heard many testimonies of people with 2" piping. How does it feel?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
erick said:
The entire exhaust set up is 2". It feels ok
2" may be a little restrictive in exhaust air flow, I cannot really comment on that because personally I never used that, or heard anyone having upgraded to dual exhaust and receiving 2" piping. But 2.25 is def. the max that I would go with. Try to get a all stainless steel kit if you can when you change your exhaust to 2.25.
Think of it like this, the bigger pipe sizes you go the less power. Because back pressure will be less and less as the size grows.
Also when you remove your cats, you will be losing lots of low end power, not to mention its illegal.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
erick said:
I guess i'll just get high flow cats. Thanks for the help!
Some people choose to off their cats souly for the sound.
Personally Iam just not one of those people, its not my type of exhaust note. Hi flows are a wonderful choice. However, removing cats does increase top end though. Its all personal opinion. Theres pros, and cons to everything. If you do however do decide to off the cats, (depending on state) make sure how the test emissions if they even do. Np
-charles

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know a guy that will pass my car for an extra $20. He'll do almost anything for an extra $20.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
erick said:
I know a guy that will pass my car for an extra $20. He'll do almost anything for an extra $20.
There ya go. I have a guy that just slaps a sticker on my cars. He's been our mechanic for years, friend of the family's. But NH doesnt do emissions anyway. Not like it matters, everything on my car is legal and hopfully pass inspection... :knock on wood: have to do it this month...haha.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotta get mine this week. Im thinking about getting it inspected first then taking out the cats the next day. Save me $20. Now that I think about it... my engine light is on so ill def. have to pay the dude. Dam!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts