Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how would it sound if I dumped it right after the cats?
It's 1997 stock 4.2L with 1995 single port heads and intake. Right now I have a single straight pipe. It sounds okay, but it's starting to get boring. So I want to change it. Louder is always better for me.

Maybe some old school side pipes like the shelby cobras :D

·
Premium Member
19,573 Posts
Gonna sound crappier than it already does.

·
Premium Member
19,573 Posts
Robbiemustang96 said:
Mine doesnt sound crappy at all... But of course some one put an X pipe on there too...when i get some extra money im gonna put a prochamber on...
He's talking no muffler and no pipes after midpipe. No muffler is bad enough.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
He's talking no muffler and no pipes after midpipe. No muffler is bad enough.
Agreed. The 3.8 sounds horrible like that. Its loud and anybody who knows car will shake thier head in shame as you drive by.

OP, if your bored with your exhaust check out the exhaust sticky. There are several different setups with videos there. 1slosix and I are partial to the prochambers. It really does make the 3.8 sound good.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
i will say when done right mufflerless sounds ok i ran a straight pipe setup for almost a year. however i will say i had my midpipe and tubing out the back to not be overly loud. OP if you want it dumped go for it but i say do it after a nice set of mufflers :good:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It still has all for cats. I'm keeping those cause I plan on saving up some cash so I can upgrade to a late 60's to early 70's muscle car. If I had plans on keeping this for 5+ years, i'd get LT headers and a lumpy cam.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I still recommend doing it right and either dumping after some mufflers or over axles...youll regret an after cat dump after a few days. If you want loud look for a straight through muffler or cherry bomb

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's what I have and I think it sounds good. Stock Mani > all cats > cherry bombs (is what I think they are) divorced

·
Registered
630 Posts
Stock front cats

Divorce duals

Into flowmaster 10's midway down cabin

Dumps right after the mufflers, turndowns or dumps if you want moar lowd, or tail pipes for a bit quieter with less cabin drone.

If you have the cash to spend, look into a prochamber like the guys above said (just saw a vid the other day that sold me on them) or bassani or borla exhaust.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts