Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im on a tight budget and want to so a dual straight back exhaust. My question is what would sound better, straight back dumped with no mufflers or straight back with two mufflers and then dumped? I would extend them to the rear bumper but the fuel line from the tank is a concern. I have a 99

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
the fuel line is really no concern man...run duals out the back for the best overall tone...dumped setups are ok because they are cheap, but honestly i've run dumped, sidepipes, and out the back...and the out the back always sounds better.

as for no mufflers right now i have no mufflers, but i'm also running a Mac Prochamber midpipe to keep the rasp down. I think you'd be happiest with mufflers, but it's all personal preference. hit up youtube and listen to different exhausts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Idk yet really. I found an hpipe on craigslist for 125 but it came off a v8. I guess it would still fit just need to be welded on. I got a quote from a muffler shop and they said 90 for the straight back pipes and 50 for the mufflers that i bring in and i think another 30 or 50 for the tips. Im really torn what to do but i want duals badly

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
the exhaust shop here in town made me and off road h pipe for 130. but i already had a catback made and my two flow 40's, and tips. take your time with it so it can sound good. find a gt catback first, then buy whatever brand mufflers u like, then either save for a mid pipe or have a shop custom make u one like mine.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
I personally like tips out back too, and there should be no worry about your fuel line.

I would keep the cats, 2 minimum if you plan on straight pipes. All v6's should have mufflers, the only exception is if you have a prochamber like slosix, I've heard one v6 with one and no mufflers and it sounded decent.

No cats and no mufflers is going to sound pretty bad, I think v8's sound like sh*t with that setup.

If you're on a budget and can't afford a fancy setup or an aftermarket catback, take it to a shop, have them run divorced dual pipes after your cats all the way to tips out back. If you want mufflers pick up some dynomax or chambered cherrybombs for under $100 and call it a day. You'll be louder than stock and have that dual exhaust look.

Oh and make sure you don't get chrome tips, damn things will rust out on you in a year or two...stick with stainless steel.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think so and if it's catted you can just use the h part of the pipe and scrap your cats. I bought an offroad bassani x pipe from a gt for 125 and scrapped my cats from my car for 140 bucks.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Is 100 bucks fair for an hpipe? It was off a gt but it would still fit right?
offer $75 cash...the exhaust shop will just cut the thing down so they can weld it into your sixxer...it's a good way to get an h-pipe overall

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the guy sold it already. Just my luck. But could i get by with one flowmaster that splits to duals and just put it right after the y? Or would that sound junky

And thanks for all the help guys, i know i have alot of questions

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I think the guy sold it already. Just my luck. But could i get by with one flowmaster that splits to duals and just put it right after the y? Or would that sound junky

And thanks for all the help guys, i know i have alot of questions
it'll have nowhere near the same sound quality as a true dual setup and you'll just want to redo it when you pull up next to another sixxer running it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, then definately two. Now i want something with deep tone, but not extremely loud. The two i were looking at was thrush welded and the glass packs. Any idea which would be more of a growl? Glass packs are cheaper but i also heard they were LOUD. And the thrush welded are supposed to be the same design as the flowmasters but they are higher priced than the glass packs. Im really have no idea which way to go, i appreciate all the help

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
higher then the glasspacks yes, but half the price of the flowmasters...so think of it that way lol. i'd run the welds over packs anyday

·
Registered
45 Posts
For my dual exhaust 10 series flow master it was $470 and then I bought an o/r x pipe and that was 100 to install and

I'm warning you that my set up is way to loud. My car screams from 2 miles away.

I'm getting magna flow glass packs to reduce the noise or getting the 44 series

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I got charged with Wreckless and careless because of it . What state are you in
TN....and that's weird...i run no mufflers and will rev it next to a cop to get nothing but smiles in return :confused: Of course it all depends on location, but in middle TN i don't see cops crack down on any car related mod...Just speeding

1 - 20 of 23 Posts