Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am installing dynamat sound proofing in the trunk area of the car, plus the inner fender areas. My 2013 GT CS has such horrible road noise, that I also sprayed truck bed liner 1/16" thick before applying the dynamat. A simple tap test with the knuckle showed a marked improvement. Now I am working on the inner fenders, first applying the truck bed liner, then adhering the dynamat, also treating both sides of the removable inner fender with the truck bed liner. Super easy to do, and am looking forward to road testing.

·
Premium Member
4,558 Posts
Am installing dynamat sound proofing in the trunk area of the car, plus the inner fender areas. My 2013 GT CS has such horrible road noise, that I also sprayed truck bed liner 1/16" thick before applying the dynamat. A simple tap test with the knuckle showed a marked improvement. Now I am working on the inner fenders, first applying the truck bed liner, then adhering the dynamat, also treating both sides of the removable inner fender with the truck bed liner. Super easy to do, and am looking forward to road testing.
:good: be sure let us know how it works! ;)

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Where do u get the truck bed liner?

·
Tech Expert
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort
3,060 Posts
I'm not sure I'd spray/paint anything into the interior parts of the car. Basically it's a closed coffin as the stuff VOCs off. Dynamat is fine on its own. It really does make a difference. It's just stupid expensive for some aluminum foil and butyl rubber.

·
Tech Expert
3,060 Posts
Seriously folks, think this one through. Lots of bedliners contain high levels of VOCs and isocyanates, which are toxic, particularly isocyanates, which require phosgene for production. Anybody hear that word before? Phosgene gas was used in WW1, to kill Tommies, oh and an isocyanate was the killer in Bhopal, India, too, btw. Many states actually ban spray on bedliner because of this.

·
Premium Member
4,558 Posts
Seriously folks, think this one through. Lots of bedliners contain high levels of VOCs and isocyanates, which are toxic, particularly isocyanates, which require phosgene for production. Anybody hear that word before? Phosgene gas was used in WW1, to kill Tommies, oh and an isocyanate was the killer in Bhopal, India, too, btw. Many states actually ban spray on bedliner because of this.
We get it.. But would it be an issue in the trunk area?
I've never herd that states have 'banned' spray in bed liners, that is def news to me..

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
We get it.. But would it be an issue in the trunk area?
I've never herd that states have 'banned' spray in bed liners, that is def news to me..
yeah...I don't think any states have banned it. Infact I remember reading a thread from some guys with crown vics that would spray their entire truck with the stuff. Said they'd feel high for a few days, but else wise was all good.

·
Tech Expert
3,060 Posts
The trunk area is not isolated from the cabin by anything but the seatbacks. Hardly airtight. I'm sure there are probably less toxic versions of this stuff out there but, just figure on somebody reading this and getting the bright idea to head down to Vatozone and pick up whatever's on the shelf, without regard for the ingredients. Considering a bad choice here could at the very least make your car undriveable and at worst kill you on the road, why not get some of the stuff sold for this purpose, if you insist? I believe Dynamat makes some liquid stuff, too. Pricey but, you're not taking the risk of introducing a deadly chemical agent to the car interior.

Dynamat foil-back alone will deal with anything you're trying to tame, pretty much.

·
Premium Member
4,558 Posts
The trunk area is not isolated from the cabin by anything but the seatbacks. Hardly airtight. I'm sure there are probably less toxic versions of this stuff out there but, just figure on somebody reading this and getting the bright idea to head down to Vatozone and pick up whatever's on the shelf, without regard for the ingredients. Considering a bad choice here could at the very least make your car undriveable and at worst kill you on the road, why not get some of the stuff sold for this purpose, if you insist? I believe Dynamat makes some liquid stuff, too. Pricey but, you're not taking the risk of introducing a deadly chemical agent to the car interior.

Dynamat foil-back alone will deal with anything you're trying to tame, pretty much.
Vato Zone... Really...
Credibility gone..
Wow... :banghead:

·
Tech Expert
3,060 Posts
Allrighty then, on yer bike, all of you. Do what you like and best of luck. ...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
There was a truck on street customs they sprayed bed liner on it for one of the dirt bike companies. A compete truck in it lol
I could see the benefit of that, less chance of tearing up the "paint" with rock chips and such since the truck bed stuff is usually pretty strong.

wouldn't do it on a normal car, but a truck/specially an off road truck, might be worth it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've seen quite a few trucks that have it on their rocker panels to keep them from being beat up by road junk and rocks. I'm sure there It would help with road noise as well as insulation qualities, but check into the chemicals used in them too. Find a MSDS sheet on the web or mfg site and look at the health risks. To get enough material to seal completely and stick for any length of time I'd think there would have to be a decent amount if product applied.

Dynamat on its own works great. One of the car stereo companies has a spray that works good, can't remember which one.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I've seen quite a few trucks that have it on their rocker panels to keep them from being beat up by road junk and rocks. I'm sure there It would help with road noise as well as insulation qualities, but check into the chemicals used in them too. Find a MSDS sheet on the web or mfg site and look at the health risks. To get enough material to seal completely and stick for any length of time I'd think there would have to be a decent amount if product applied.

Dynamat on its own works great. One of the car stereo companies has a spray that works good, can't remember which one.
It's called boom spray! Well the one on American muscle

1 - 20 of 23 Posts