Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am a bit confused at the moment...

Here's my car's set up:
2014 V6 automatic
K&N cold air intake
BBK 73 mm throttle body
JBA shorty headers
Roush exhaust
BAMA race tune with 93 octane gas

So, the shorties just got installed today and they did a quick dyno pull to check the air to fuel ratio.

The thing that is confusing me is the result...
Max Power =256.02, Max Torque = 261.75

Now, I don't know what the stock rwhp is, but I have searched this site and did a google search for other sites and the numbers for their bone stock dyno pulls seem much more impressive than my 1 pull with those mods. From what I saw, it looks like I didn't gain even 1 extra hp from these mods, and that's very disappointing.
So, did I actually waste a good bit of money on upgrades? Are my numbers good or bad? This almost seems worse than stock, but I am a noobie, so meh, wha, wha happened?

·
Premium Member
6,965 Posts
Only thing that had the potential to gain HP was the throttle body. Even then it wouldn't have been much.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Only thing that had the potential to gain HP was the throttle body. Even then it wouldn't have been much.

Pick your poison.
Shorty headers show good gains on the 3.7 under the curve but only like 6-8 at peak.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Don't worry to much on the numbers. Depending on what type of dyno numbers will differ. As already suggested the bolt ons you listed won't offer many gains in power, but might change where power is made in the power band. Don't be disappointed though keep going and researching future upgrades your car has the potential to be a beast... my 2004 gt made a lot less stock then your v6

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess at this point, the only optimistic high point would be if I haven't actually lost any horse power ;o(. The car definitely feels like it has more pep when I press down on the gas pedal, so it seems like I have gained a little something, perhaps a bit more torque? Now I'm beginning to wonder why I did all of these mods...Somebody cheer me up and tell me I haven't wasted my money foolishly...lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Parkerz28,
You posted your reply while I was typing an entry about needing someone to say something to cheer me up. ;o). Well, the peeps that did the header install for me suggested the next thing to do is a lower gear ratio, and then a super charger. Now, with a super charger I understood that the K&N CAI would go, but they also suggested that I go back to a stock throttle body if I do the super charger. Then after that, a different drive shaft, and possibly a big brake upgrade kit after that. So, yeah, I guess I will continue to do mods, but I guess I need to ask more questions before I do impulse buying. Damn those American Muscle reviews lol.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
The dyno is wrong. A DOHC motor revving to 7k makes 5.73 more torque than hp? I think not. Post a picture of the graph if you could. There should be close to a 30-40 spread between your peak whp and peak torque on this type of motor.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts

Well, oddly enough the math checks out, although i still dont know that i believe this is 100% accurate.

There are quite a few factors that could lead to a situation like this, so i'll reserve further comments until i've had some time to mull it over, or we get some more information on the situation. Not saying you havent been forthcoming with information, just that we may not know what questions to be asking yet.

Seeing as how your car apparently makes peak hp at 5500 though, the tune is my current suspicion since a factory car makes peak hp at 6500.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Voltwings,
Thanks for looking at this for me. Interesting that it might be the tune, because I'm not sure I trust BAMA. The initial tunes that they sent me wouldn't even upload, so the third guy I talked to from BAMA had me on hold forever and then said that I was on hold for so long because my tunes were completely wrong and that he rewrote them from scratch and sent them to me. Those uploaded just fine. When I knew I was ordering the shorty headers, I requested a new tune from BAMA, and they came back and said that I wouldn't need a new tune with those headers and to just use the current ones that I had.

So, for the Racing and Peformance Tune (I'm using the Race Tune):
Octane - 93
Eliminate skip shift - both
Airbox - K&N CAI
Cold Air Kit - Cold Air
Throttle Body - BBK (73mm)
Header Type - Stock
Catback - Roush

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The bad thing is you don't have the before Dyno sheet.
I still say the best mod I did was the short tubes, it has a lot more low to mid range power. Since that is the RPM range where almost all of us drive makes it a good mod for a street car.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Something is wrong. Your dyno numbers are what a 100% stock motor does :(

Lots of YouTube video's showing dyno pulls with stock 2011+ V6 Mustangs :)

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Unfortunately you cant compare numbers alone. I had my own car on 3 different dynos and it made 3 different numbers with like a 50 whp difference between each. My comments on the dyno being wrong were simply how the car managed to make more torque than HP, which should not happen on this type of motor.

I had a similar scenario on my 5.0 with a cobrajet. I had a tall runner manifold, on a DOHC motor, revving to 8k, and my car made 2 more hp than torque. No way, i told the guy his dyno was loaded wrong but he wasn't having it, even after i showed him mathematically it didnt make sense. So i went to another dyno and ended up with a 100 spread between my torque and horsepower, which was much more believable for my setup. The numbers were useless at that point since i had no "before" on that dyno, but i was able to see my powerband, which i was more concerned with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Voltwings

Hi Voltwings,
So, should any dyno see an increase in HP from stock with those mods that I have done? I mean the car definitely has more acceleration than it used to, and its "growl" is back after adding the shorties. It had toned down a bit with the larger throttle body. I've done too many mods in too short a time to make me wonder if all the bits are working together or cancelling each other out in some weird way.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Did it shift the point at which the car made peak torque? Were you datalogging the ECU while it was on the dyno?

I bet if you calculate power under the curve, you will find an increase. Power under the curve is what really matters in a street driven car. How much emphasis do you have on what it makes at 9000000 rpm? You leave the stop light at 2500 RPM and cruise at 2000 RPM. 90% of the time, peak hp doesn't add any value to your daily driven V6 imo.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Did it shift the point at which the car made peak torque? Were you datalogging the ECU while it was on the dyno?

I bet if you calculate power under the curve, you will find an increase. Power under the curve is what really matters in a street driven car. How much emphasis do you have on what it makes at 9000000 rpm? You leave the stop light at 2500 RPM and cruise at 2000 RPM. 90% of the time, peak hp doesn't add any value to your daily driven V6 imo.
This, unless you live your life a 1/4 mile at a time.
Shorties and the true x pipe over rhe hybrid gave me useable power. Not power you never see on the street.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello everyone, I am a bit confused at the moment...

Here's my car's set up:
2014 V6 automatic
K&N cold air intake
BBK 73 mm throttle body
JBA shorty headers
Roush exhaust
BAMA race tune with 93 octane gas

So, the shorties just got installed today and they did a quick dyno pull to check the air to fuel ratio.

The thing that is confusing me is the result...
Max Power =256.02, Max Torque = 261.75

Now, I don't know what the stock rwhp is, but I have searched this site and did a google search for other sites and the numbers for their bone stock dyno pulls seem much more impressive than my 1 pull with those mods. From what I saw, it looks like I didn't gain even 1 extra hp from these mods, and that's very disappointing.
So, did I actually waste a good bit of money on upgrades? Are my numbers good or bad? This almost seems worse than stock, but I am a noobie, so meh, wha, wha happened?
I have a 2013 with a 6 speed, PP with 331 gears, Airaid Cold Air, 73 MM TB, 93 octane Bama tune, Alum driveshaft and pulled almost the same numbers that you did when I was at the Ford National Show in Carlisle June 2016. No gain over stock that the American Muscle baseline they did before some of these same mods were done.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Hi Voltwings,
So, should any dyno see an increase in HP from stock with those mods that I have done? I mean the car definitely has more acceleration than it used to, and its "growl" is back after adding the shorties. It had toned down a bit with the larger throttle body. I've done too many mods in too short a time to make me wonder if all the bits are working together or cancelling each other out in some weird way.
What i would do is take it to the track. If you can get some good, solid, 1/4 mile passes in, you can compare your ET and trap speed to other folks, which will be much more helpful. Dyno numbers, unless done by the same car on the same dyno as a means of comparing before and after mods, are arbitrary.

What is not arbitrary however, is powerband, and the fact that your car, according to this graph, is making peak whp a full 1000 rpms sooner than it should be leads me to believe something is up. The most likely culprit is the tune. That is not me saying you need a new tune, that is me explaining this situation as it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've dealt with the disappointing Dyno results on my '14 automatic. When you see "Stock" dyno numbers of 260 rwhp, keep in mind that was done with a standard transmission. An automatic has more loss, and, no gear is a 1:1 ratio which makes it all but impossible to get an 'accurate' number. My first time on a dyno (DynoJet, note that different types give different readings, if you want a big number find a MustangDyno, if reality is your forte' then DynoJet is the way to go.) my rwhp was 235 in 4th, I had a Steeda CAI, Steeda tune, BBK 73mm TB, and BBK shorty headers. My heart sank, how could it be so low after those mods, she was definitely quicker, substantially so. So he tried in 3rd, 261. Last week, after going back to stock airbox + adding Accel Supercoils and E3 plugs, 3.55 gears, PLUS MPT tune, 4th gear pull came in at 255, didn't go to 3rd this time. 20HP increase over last 4th gear pull, not bad. My first time at the track I ran 14.7's, after 1st dyno pull, the very best I got to was 14.1's. Last week I ran 13.5's. Don't fret over numbers, just the results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
that is not peak power my dyno looked that way on my first pull as well turned out the auto trans was in the wrong gear thanks to adaptive shifting i made 265hp with a stock airbox then removed the airfilter and made another run made 279hp manual shifting

1 - 20 of 31 Posts