Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was pulling up my ebrake handle (parked...) and heard a loud POP!

I let it back down, and slowly pulled it back up and put the car in reverse to make sure that it still functioned. It does.

I did notice that when the handle is down I have a little bit of play side to side. Like if I grab the handle and push it to the passenger side then to the drivers side I can get a decent amt of movement from it. Thing is, I don't know if it did that before, or if a bolt or something popped off or a screw came out in the assembly.

So does anybody elses ebrake handle do that? if not, any ideas? I may just take out the center console to get a good look at it.

Thanks.

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright, i just took my center console out (ewww it's nasty under there) and poked around.

There was only one bolt I could reach to tighten, and it was already tight. After looking at it, I'm more assured that this is just one of those things I didn't noticed before and it's probably normal. Thanks anyways.

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SquirrelNutz154 said:
Yeah, I've had that. Sometimes when you pull a little too hard on it it'll let out a pop. I pulled my center console also and found absolutely nothing wrong. Just not made to be pulled on that hard.
*oops*

:pnoid:

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dom said:
Don't feel bad, one time a yanked it way to hard, when I first got the car, and had to burn a bit of the pads off to get it moving again the next day. :p:
umm... :uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
I had a 90 eagle talon (OMG dont ever tell anyone...) (pos car also OMG) and I was leaving a friends house I forgot I left the E brake on and got a couple miles it started stinking and smoking I was scared to death.... finally figured it out.... I was 16 what do you expect?

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I travel a lot, and use a lot of rented cars. A lot of times I will rent a car and leave the emergency brake on. I'll drive like 20 minutes with the emergency brake ON!

Doesn't say much for me, but it really doesn't say much for the emergency brake. It's more like a "make the car smell funny" lever.

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'd never pull the e-brake while moving... least not in my car.

I think I've decided that an aluminum e-brake handle will solve my problem. :D

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
my 89 does this every so often, if I pull it the right way.. it sorta grabs the end of the ratcheting gear (that holds it in place on the way up..) and there's the possibility of it slipping off.. esp. if its well worn..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whenever this brake sticking happens there is a quick fix, clawl under the rear of the car with a screw driver and pry the e-brake lever (actuator, has a spring in it) lever out.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Yesterday I was pulling up my ebrake handle (parked...) and heard a loud POP!

I let it back down, and slowly pulled it back up and put the car in reverse to make sure that it still functioned. It does.

I did notice that when the handle is down I have a little bit of play side to side. Like if I grab the handle and push it to the passenger side then to the drivers side I can get a decent amt of movement from it. Thing is, I don't know if it did that before, or if a bolt or something popped off or a screw came out in the assembly.

So does anybody elses ebrake handle do that? if not, any ideas? I may just take out the center console to get a good look at it.

Thanks.
Did the same thing Thought I broke something ,took it all apart everything looked OK.Now I just don''t pull so hard

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a hand brake recall by Ford on a lot of these cars think the years are 93-03 (something like that). might check it out, it involves some but not all mustangs, I took the 95 we have to the dealer and we were in the clear, they will check your vin# to see if your on the list, its free!

If you heard a pop and you think it came from inside the consel, take it out drive it that way for awhile see if you can get to do it again.

Another place I would check is under the car where the 2 REAR BRAKE CABLES are attcheted to a bracket above the driveshaft about 1 1/2' behind the trans, this bracket may have been pulled loose, its spot welded!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts