Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So bought this mustang last week. Found out the e brake doesn't work. I've searched the Internet looking for answers. Adjusted the nut on the cable and it still doesn't seem to be working. Going to post a picture of it, does all this look normal???

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
The problem is probably on the wheel. It might be time for a rear brake job.
+1

How many miles on the car? Might be time to change the rear brakes anyway, i'd probably go ahead and do it while i'm in there if they're worn, so it's good to go for a long time. Usually one thing leads to another, if your parking brake isn't working, i'd bet there might be more that needs done at the wheel as far as adjustment and replacement of some wear parts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It has just over 80k

I'd have the rear brakes checked then, lots of places will do it for free when you get other services performed. At 80k, they might have never been done, and may be due. I'll bet you just need the parking brake adjusted while they're in there (if you had a shop do it that is).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have one but. Would really prefer to do it myself to save money. How time consuming would that be? Never done it before.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have one but. Would really prefer to do it myself to save money. How time consuming would that be? Never done it before.
Here's a video of a guy doing the change on an 06 GT rear pads. You'll need a brake tool to rotate and compress the piston, but otherwise it's pretty straight forward.

Rear brake pad/disc replacement 2006 Ford Mustang GT - YouTube

The first time you do it, it'll take a bit longer just because its unfamiliar, but once you do it a few times, maybe 30-60 minutes per side. Depending on if you need rotors as well, might take a bit longer. Get a friend to help you, and plan for an afternoon of getting your hands dirty.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Crshelton21 said:
So bought this mustang last week. Found out the e brake doesn't work. I've searched the Internet looking for answers. Adjusted the nut on the cable and it still doesn't seem to be working. Going to post a picture of it, does all this look normal???
Your ebrake cable is snapped. Same thing happened to me. Only way to fix it is by buying the ebrake lever, which costs $165 from ford.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Check ur rear calipers the e brake spring on the caliper could be junk and in that case you will have to replace the rear calipers and the cable cause it is going to be bad to

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Here's a video of a guy doing the change on an 06 GT rear pads. You'll need a brake tool to rotate and compress the piston, but otherwise it's pretty straight forward.

Rear brake pad/disc replacement 2006 Ford Mustang GT - YouTube

The first time you do it, it'll take a bit longer just because its unfamiliar, but once you do it a few times, maybe 30-60 minutes per side. Depending on if you need rotors as well, might take a bit longer. Get a friend to help you, and plan for an afternoon of getting your hands dirty.
WITHOUT experience is should take 30 per side. WITH experience it is literally minutes. Without the rotating tool you end up needing a confession lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
WITHOUT experience is should take 30 per side. WITH experience it is literally minutes. Without the rotating tool you end up needing a confession lol
No kidding on the confession... First time I ran into that I broke a c-clamp before i realized i needed a special tool for turning and compressing the piston. What a mother that was...glad i broke the cheap clamp instead of the caliper though...

You're right about the time, it shouldn't take but a few minutes, I just enjoy my time in the garage so i work slowly. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts